Why are they so horrible?

(9 Posts)
tireddotcom72 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:48:13

Just a moan really - I know her behaviour is normal. I am a single mum to a sometimes nice mostly horrible about to turn 13 year old daughter. She has perfected the art of eye rolling answering back and door slamming perfectly. Thinks she is the centre of the universe - moaned at me today because I bought myself a couple of primark tops after telling her I couldn't afford to buy another pair of £40 hollister jeans for her. She is demanding and seems to have forgotten all her manners and of course everything is my fault. Seriously this phase really is soul destroying!! I was warned about terrible twos tantrumy threes and fucking fours!! They were easy compared to twatty teens! I'm going to end up an alcoholic at the rate I'm thinking when is wine o clock!! I totally see the appeal of boarding schools now!

yeOldeTrout Sun 11-Sep-16 21:30:35

Hang in there & try not to overdo the wine
Mine is tantrumming b/c we don't want to buy her a £380 phone, sigh.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Mon 12-Sep-16 00:17:35

There's a teenagers support thread on this section somewhere. It's gone a bit quiet over the summer but I've been posting on it. It's a good place to vent when you need understanding sympathy or even a bit if advice or hand holding when our lovely teens grind us down x

Laylajoh Mon 12-Sep-16 07:18:36

Wish you all the best, I know that teens can be pretty problematic at times. Try to talk to her more and share some interest, it helped with my sister's daughter.

RickOShay Mon 12-Sep-16 07:24:36

Oooh I have got one of these. What can I say? Don't give in, hold your nerve, and if at all possible don't take her too seriously, otherwise you can find yourself getting sucked into their vortex of complete bollocks. She will get there eventually. Have you read Get out of my life, but first take me and Alex into town? The most reassuring book I have read about teenagers, I stopped panicking after I read it. Don't despair, she will be a woman one day.

Pab78 Mon 12-Sep-16 18:02:02

My 12 YO DD can go from being the sweetest, most kind and loving child to the most stroppy, rude and heartless little madam in a second. It's hard and frustrating but I just try to remember it's hormones ruling the roost and she is learning! Love her to bits and I forgive every nasty word and dirty look but my goodness it's hard work! If I had spoken to my parents like that I would have been in deep deep trouble!

Don't want to dishearten those of you with young teens but mine is now 15 and veers from being nice (very briefly) to complete bitch....

Doesn't matter if you buy her stuff or if you don't ....

Shared interests are all very well on her terms but don't think about making suggestions

Don't think about wearing clothes that are "too teenager ish" or looking at something you wouldn't normally wear....

Oh and everything is your fault ....

Right, rant over .... Better go and cook dinner (and not open the wineas its only Monday)....

tireddotcom72 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:20:17

She was quite lovely tonight - one minor flounce ( I think she will worry she will forget how to eyeroll if it's not a daily event!) she actually sat downstairs this evening and had a civilised conversation with me!

Squeegle Mon 12-Sep-16 22:25:59

I think it's harder if you're a single parent. I've got two of the buggers and it is extremely wearing. Not only do they both argue with me but also with each other. It's not a great place to be. Surely they will improve soon (12 and 14 at the moment)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now