Can DS 18 claim benefits?

(12 Posts)
BlueberrySky Sat 23-Jul-16 15:47:05

I do not really know much about benefits and find the websites a bit confusing.

DS (18) has finished A levels, does not want to go to University, and has nothing planned for higher education. Is looking for a job but nothing yet. He lives at home and that is fine, I am getting a bit fed up still giving him money and paying for his phone etc.

Is he too young to claim unemployment benefit or can you only claim if you have had a job before?

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 23-Jul-16 15:49:21

If he's finished full time education then he can claim JSA. It won't be much at his age, around £54 a week, but enough to take the pressure off you a bit.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Sat 23-Jul-16 15:49:55

He can't claim JSA if your still receiving child benefits for him, but if you aren't it should be fine.

BlueberrySky Sat 23-Jul-16 15:53:20

I do not get child benefit for him and the CSA stopped payments from his DF for him as soon as he did his last exam in June.

I will tell him to go and investigate it then.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 23-Jul-16 15:55:47

You apply online now. I've attached a link here

AnotherEmma Sat 23-Jul-16 15:59:38

Yes he can claim JSA but nothing else, not while he is living with you. JSA is £57.35/week for 18-24 year olds.

Do you receive any benefits or tax credits? If so you will need to notify them that he is no longer in FTE and is now on JSA, as it may affect your entitlement.

AnotherEmma Sat 23-Jul-16 16:04:07

Actually it's £57.90, sorry.
This link explains it all clearly and has a link to apply online:
www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/overview

BlueberrySky Sat 23-Jul-16 16:54:00

Thank you very much.

He knew nothing about it either, I have just got him to register on line. He was surprised that he would be given money, I have explained that he needs to look for work and that he can pay towards his phone and his own expenses now with that money.

I don't receive any benefits or tax credits so do not need to worry about telling anyone.

panegyricS1 Sun 24-Jul-16 22:38:35

Yes, he can definitely claim. The job centre will expect him to seek work actively, and they won't allow him to be too fussy, so hopefully he'll be more financially independent soon.

ssd Sun 24-Jul-16 22:41:16

can teens who are going to uni in sept but have left school claim JSA, if they are 18 and I dont get child benefit for him anymore?

panegyricS1 Sun 24-Jul-16 22:46:06

No, ssd. It was possible when I was that age a million years ago, but not now. They're expected to get a summer job or be supported by parents.

ssd Sun 24-Jul-16 23:01:57

ok thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now