School hols - child care?

(10 Posts)
HandyWoman Sun 03-Jul-16 14:35:44

What do people think, roughly is an age to leave dc at home alone for a couple of days in the week for the time I'm out at work (work is 10 min drive away 9-5pm)

I have a 13 yo who I am happy to leave but just wondering about whether her 11 yo could be left with big sis? They will basically be on screens or trip to park.

Too soon? What do we think? My 11yl has always hated holiday clubs and they cost a fortune..

TheresaMarie55 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:36:54

I was left alone at that age but wouldn't leave my stepson at home that long and he's 13. Really depends on the child though x

donkir Sun 03-Jul-16 14:43:32

I'd leave them. I've been leaving my now 14yr old at home since he was 11. I think it all depends on the child though. My boy is very sensible. Make sure they know what to do in an emergency and just let the neighbour know they will be home alone so can check up on them if need be.

DramaAlpaca Sun 03-Jul-16 14:51:50

How do your DC feel about it? They need to be comfortable with being left, and need to get on well enough not to fight when you are out. Also they need to be aware of the obvious things like not answering the door, safety in the home re cooking etc and who to contact in an emergency. I'd prefer them to be at home and not out at the park if I wasn't around.

As you are only 10 minutes away, would you be able to pop home at lunchtime to check up on them & break up the day?

I used to leave mine three days a week from about that age, but I worked 10-2 then so was home in the afternoon. They were fine. They much preferred being home to having a childminder or going to clubs. It taught them independence and the eldest one liked the responsibility of looking after his siblings.

scarlets Mon 04-Jul-16 15:13:12

If they're sensible and you are able to answer your phone at work - yes. Definitely. Maybe start off with a couple of half days to get them used to it? Or have a trial run on a Saturday.

CPtart Mon 04-Jul-16 16:30:48

Mine are 13 and 11 and we live in a quite isolated idea semi rurally, with only one neighbour who's often out. I work half an hour away. Am happy to leave the 13 year old for up to half a day, but not the 11 year old too, in fact not both together for longer than an hour due to bickering etc.
It's a tricky age.

JustDanceAddict Mon 04-Jul-16 17:13:14

I leave my nearly 14 y o DD for the working day and have done a couple of times now. She's very comfortable with it and I'll be leaving her tmw as DS is in school and I'm working. I think she is going out anyway, but she'll have to make her own way there (about a mile away). I wouldn't leave my 12 year old more than an hour yet as that's all he's comfortable with, but I can leave them together for an evening now (no more sitters!). Not sure I'd leave them all day together, mainly cos of arguments.

BackforGood Mon 04-Jul-16 17:38:12

I think what makes it ok is the combination of the fact you are nearby, it's not an excessively long day, and the fact it's only a couple of times a week. I think if any of those were different, then it might be a bit much for the 11 yr old.
You need to sit down and talk about trust, and rules, and how the 11 yr old can only be left if she can follow your 'rules' etc.

Springermum1350 Mon 04-Jul-16 20:09:20

I agree with what some others say. I left my son for short periods at first and then longer. To be honest he is always annoyed when I am here ... Asking to be left on his own. He is sensible and he has ruled to follow and when he doesn't he knows what happens.

I am thinking about going back to work soon so he will have to be left ( he is 12 ). But I have a friend who wouldn't leave her 12 year old but he is a nightmare.

LoveBeingAMum555 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:13:10

I started leaving mine at 12 and 14 just on a morning. They were fine. You need to set some ground rules like where they can go, who can come round to the house etc. Think about practical things like who they might call if there was a problem and they couldn't reach you, are they allowed to cook, are you happy for them to answer the door?

I wouldn't go on too much about emergencies, fires etc as you might scare them but you need to be happy they could cope if something did go wrong. I think the most panicked phone call I got was when DS spilt juice on his bedroom carpet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now