are all 13 year olds as forgetful as DD?

(5 Posts)
dollybird Sat 02-Jul-16 10:30:29

I actually know the answer to this as also have 14 year old DS who's never been as forgetful as she is. She's actually not 13 for a couple of months but she'll soon be in year 9 and I feel like I'll be reminding her to brush her hair, clean her teeth, have a wash, use deodorant etc etc forever! She's a bright girl but also incredibly shy, even with us, and only really speaks when she has to. She'll sit for ages stuck on homework or with her laptop not working rather than ask anyone for help. I'm not sure what I can do to help, and so I don't need to keep nagging her.

dollybird Sun 03-Jul-16 19:08:13

Bump

iknowimcoming Sun 03-Jul-16 19:22:40

My Ds is the same, I feel your pain! He is 14 .5 but he is just starting to slowly improve, I think. He has been in a lot of trouble at school this year because of his poor organisation and forgetfulness and I can only assume it's this which has made him improve. Someone told me recently that getting children like him to take food tech at gcse is really good as they then have to be more organised, people that know him have laughed and said he will drive me insane with it!

dollybird Tue 05-Jul-16 17:18:51

Haha! Yes I can imagine that would help with organisation although could make for some interesting recipes if ingredients were forgotten! DD seems mostly ok organising herself for school although we've had to come down hard on her very recently as she keeps getting distracted by Skype while doing her homework hmmI just hope she'll get better at remembering all the personal hygiene things, but being a girl there are so many esp as she gets older

insan1tyscartching Tue 05-Jul-16 17:37:58

Yes sounds pretty much like dd who has an autism diagnosis. Routines.checklists and prompts help but she still forgets and loses stuff regularly tbh. Personal hygiene isn't a problem because it's part of her routine so happens without her having to think or remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now