Holiday abroad with a teen?

(13 Posts)
pearlylum Tue 31-May-16 06:21:45

Have you done this? For various practical reasons it's just me and 16 yo DD going on holiday to a Mediterranean beach resort.
Any tips? Did you have a ball?

PirateFairy45 Tue 31-May-16 06:29:12

I went to Egypt as a teen with my mum. Was awesome.

We are very close though.

pearlylum Tue 31-May-16 06:37:37

Good to hear it pirate. DD and I are very close too. I guess i feel a bit guilty about leaving the boys behind, as none of us have had a holiday at all for 3 years. I also feel quite a sense of responsibility to keep us both safe.

ChopsticksandChilliCrab Tue 31-May-16 11:03:33

DD17 and I went away just the two of us to a beach resort at Easter and had an amazing time. She said it was the best holiday she'd ever had. We stayed in a hotel with a private beach, lots of staff and good security.

RegentsParkWolf Tue 31-May-16 14:43:56

I did a three day city break with just DD (18) and me. She isn't always easy to live with and I was a bit anxious but we had a really good time. One of the best things I've done with her.

bigTillyMint Fri 03-Jun-16 16:42:26

I took DD to NYC last October and we had a fantastic time despite being together 24 hours a day for 5 days! I managed to keep my mouth shut when she made the usual teen/sarky commentswink

I guess if you go to a resort, you might not have to spend every hour of every day together. There are often things for older teens to do put on by the hotel (definitely remember them in Sharm and Turkey) where she might meet some other teens. You would definitely be safe in an AI hotel, though watch out for the waiters/pool staff - when we were in Turkey, the girls (only 14 at the time) got a lot of attention. They found that saying "you know I'm only 14" usually got rid of them!

pearlylum Fri 03-Jun-16 17:05:48

bigtilly- I am avoiding Turkey for this reason.

bigTillyMint Fri 03-Jun-16 17:49:21

TBF, they were fairly harimless and I guess the giirls learned some important skills!

pearlylum Fri 03-Jun-16 20:29:11

bigtilly, harmless, but I want to relax on holiday not use our time for my 16 year old to learn how to fight off sleazy men

TeaBelle Fri 03-Jun-16 20:33:57

I had no unwanted attention in turkey but Malta was awful (obviously when I was young as less haggard/saggy)

bigTillyMint Fri 03-Jun-16 20:38:45

Totally get that, pearly.

What about Spain or Portugal?

pearlylum Fri 03-Jun-16 21:06:10

I've just booked us a holiday in Corfu, well away from Kavos.

bigTillyMint Fri 03-Jun-16 21:29:48

Greece is lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now