Summer holidays and working full time

(4 Posts)
Myusernameismyusername Mon 30-May-16 18:37:11

Now mine are teens a lot of the holiday clubs seem to have age limits of 12, and the only big franchise one I have seen advertised locally costs more for both kids than I earn in one day.

I started working full time, from previously working school hours, this year, so haven't had many school holidays to contend with yet.

I have a small family who all work full time or don't live very close. DC's dad also works full time. I don't know very many parents from secondary school or they work full time too.

My DC's get the bus home from school and I work very locally so am home after about 40 mins so they not alone long.
They are very very sensible so I don't worry too much.

What I have is guilt about the school holidays. How boring is it going to be for them if they are at home while I am at work and can only pop back for lunch? I feel really bad. They don't have friends who live very close as I live in a village a few miles from school.

Their dad is having them for one solid week and the bank holiday in August and I have one solid week off. I have also tried to book odd days across the other 4 weeks, even half days but it's hard as I have to consider my work colleagues who want time off too.

What does everyone else do? Or are kids pretty happy lounging around most of the time and I am just feeling guilty and silly

GasLightShining Mon 30-May-16 22:47:02

Mine tended to slob about or catch a bus into town to meet friends/odd trip to cinema. We live in a small city so transport is easier.

Between me and DH we also booked different weeks off work but it didn't take long for them to get to the stage where having mum or dad at home was not an attraction and didn't want to go anywhere with us!

scarlets Tue 31-May-16 07:47:48

Is there a reliable bus service into town?

I think that your ex could take a few more days' leave tbh. It sounds as if he's taking 5 days off, and leaving you to fret about the rest. Even a handful of half days would be useful.

That said, many DCs aged 12+ are happy with a games console and a supply of food!

Myusernameismyusername Tue 31-May-16 16:52:06

Yes there is a good bus service, they could easily go into town. The younger one doesn't like doing things like that so I think we will end up with one in, one out (costing me a fortune as well!)

I hope he does take more time off but I won't hold my breath. This is the first year he has in the summer because I now refuse to let him lie they are 'ill' and take them away in term time. I know it's cheaper but then it leaves me with 6 weeks to worry about. Usually he goes away for 2 weeks in August without them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now