Table tennis room size

(5 Posts)
marshiesmagicA04 Thu 19-May-16 21:23:42

We are looking at building a single story extension which will be used as a games room whilst the kids are teenagers, then a garden room in later life. Does anyone have a full sized table tennis table (2.74m by 1.525m) and can advise how much space you need around the table? Our first drawings were 4.35m width (this can't be changed) by 3.7m length but we are concerned that this isn't big enough. Some websites recommend you need1.5 - 2m at each end but this seems excessive??

traviata Thu 19-May-16 21:33:14

We have a table in the garden, so it's not a great comparison, but I would say that you easily need to be able to move 1.5m back from the table. Anything less and the player risks banging their elbow on the wall behind them, or crashing into it backwards.

smaller table? or table football instead?

traviata Thu 19-May-16 21:36:19

this article sets it out well

choccyp1g Thu 19-May-16 21:36:31

I'd say you do need a minimum of a metre at each end if you imagine yourself standing and batting. The taller and better you get, the more room you need. We've got an 18 ft space with a full size table and it is only this year, that DS (a smallish 15yo) is occasionally pointing out that he could have got certain shots back if there were more room.
If you have the space I'd highly recommend one. It is a great activity for all ages.

marshiesmagicA04 Thu 19-May-16 22:00:38

Thanks for the replies - traviata the article is very good much appreciated. Going to measure 18ft out into the garden tomorrow to see if we can spare the extra room. Cheers everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now