Urgent booze assistance required

(15 Posts)
BethDJ Fri 15-Apr-16 11:52:27

I know, I know. You're all firmly pulling up your most judgiest of judgy pants, you're tsking and you think I'm a bad parent.... but I still need advice.
DD is going to a house party tomorrow. She's being open with us and has asked if she can bring alcohol with her as her 16 yr old friends will be drinking and she wants to fit in.
If I say 'no', she's more likely to buy vodka or apple sourz (apparently) behind my back and I'd rather buy her something we know she will drink without getting unintentionally hammered and throwing up in my car on the way home too much excess.
I've looked it up and it's legal so long as I buy it and she's in a private house (rather than a pub)
So do I get her 4 alcopops...Smirnoff Ice?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:54:51

Yes, I would. Or wkd.

RNBrie Fri 15-Apr-16 11:55:36

I'd probably do Bacardi Breezers in a flavour she likes. My dc are tiny but I like to think I'll bring them up to drink responsibly and not get shit faced on vodka (like I did at 16!)

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Fri 15-Apr-16 11:55:44

Just posted on the other thread!

blueskyinmarch Fri 15-Apr-16 11:58:19

At that age I bought my DDs Smirnoff ice or similar to take to parties. I think it can be more about being seem to bring some alcohol rather than being obliged to drink it. My DD2 is 18 and not a big drinker. The thing she likes to do is take a premixed ;(by her) bottle of gin and lemonade. She knows how strong it is ( pretty weak tbh ) and she keeps it with her throughout the party. It is all a bit of a social minefield at that age and I guess you need to know how much you trust your child.

Orac Fri 15-Apr-16 12:02:10

Yes, at 16 I provided 2 bottles of Kopperberberg cider for DS to take to parties. No judging here.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 15-Apr-16 12:18:15

I don't have teenagers yet but I would absolutely provide a few bottles of alcopop...far better than them sourcing their own vodka!

spababe Fri 15-Apr-16 12:25:53

I would buy a maximum of two drinks but I would also ring the parents of the party holders to determine if they will be policing what people are bringing into the house to ensure she does not have access to any more alcohol. Ie everyone brings 2 drinks and no-one drinks anyone else's booze.

lborolass Fri 15-Apr-16 12:26:20

I'd be happy with a 16 year old taking alcohol to a party as long a it's not spirits or to excess.

leonardthelemming Fri 15-Apr-16 13:08:07

I would also ring the parents of the party holders to determine if they will be policing what people are bringing into the house

If I were a parent supervising a teenage party I would be fine with beer, wine, etc but I would be confiscating water bottles and replacing them with ones containing real water. Water bottles are an excellent disguise for vodka.

I actually think there would be less of a problem with teenage drinking if 16-year-olds were allowed to buy alcohol (but not spirits) in a pub. That way they probably wouldn't feel the need to get wasted on vodka in the park.

lanbro Fri 15-Apr-16 13:24:51

I'm not at this point with my dc yet but as a teenager I was given either a bottle of lambrusco or a couple of Castaways, as were all of my friends. I've always had a healthy relationship with alcohol and will do the same with my dc in the future.

JugglingBabies Fri 15-Apr-16 13:28:24

My DC's are still young, but myself and DH have already discussed this topic. And we would provide a couple of bottles of some type of alcopop. Better that than a bottle of vodka that they'll probably find a way to source themselves.

Orac Fri 15-Apr-16 14:16:29

My post above was a little flippant. I do think it's important to educate teenagers on the potential dangers of alcohol, in particular spirits.
The fact that you can get very, very drunk before you even know it drinking vodka. They often mix it with energy drinks hmm or lemonade.
That alcohol lowers your inhibitions so you might not plan to drink more than 2 drinks, or smoke, or take drugs, or have sex, but the alcohol affects your judgement.
That some people, even nice quiet people, turn nasty with alcohol and you should know that their judgement is impaired.

It's the norm round here for everyone to take and consume their own drinks. When I've hosted I supply lots of soft drinks and snacks. There is always one who overdoes it. DS best friend had to be collected by his parents at 9pm once as he had been swigging vodka before the party even started.

I tried to encourage mine to drink beer. You have to drink quite a lot to get as wasted as a small amount of vodka. Sadly it's an acquired taste. Fruit cider seems a reasonable alternative.
I hate alcopops. Youngsters drink them because they taste ...like pop, and it's very easy to drink a lot too quickly.

Mine are both over 18 now and neither drinks much but they still like WKD

scarlets Fri 15-Apr-16 18:29:32

Nothing wrong with 16 year olds having a drink at a party. A low % fruity cider or prosecco type thing is a good option IMO. I'm wary of alcoopops because of the temptation to knock them back (and because they didn't exist when I was 16 lol - Malibu and Taboo were the dangers in those days!) wink

BG2015 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:48:19

My DS (16) has been to a number of parties recently and I've bought him 2 bottles of Budweiser to take.

Sadly I know he drank other alcoholic drinks when he was there.

I've talked to him about eating before he goes out and drinking soft drinks too. So far he's been ok.

Unlike some of his friends who have been told to leave many parties because of excessive drunkeness!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now