dropping teens off at activities

(8 Posts)
RhobarbRhobarb Thu 11-Feb-16 23:46:23

DH dropped 13 yr old off at a sport event this evening. It is held in a country sports hall about 60 miles from where we live so unfamiliar area. The lights were on but there were no coaches/teachers there. There was a caretaker and that was it. Dh dropped DD and drove off. I would usually wait, even outside in the car, until there was a teacher or other team mates there. He maintains that she had her phone and could have phoned him if there was a problem. He was heading off to a meeting 10 mins away and has form for ignoring his phone. DD was not bothered but as it happened she was alone with just the caretaker (we presume somewhere in the building - she did not see him) for 10 minutes - the coach did not turn up at all but other team mates did and all was fine. Dh thinks I am being PFB about this and maybe I am. What would you have done?

BackforGood Thu 11-Feb-16 23:55:33

Waited. Like you. I'd have probably have gone in, but I certainly wouldn't have dropped and driven off without knowing that other folk she knew were there.

tosspottoerag Fri 12-Feb-16 00:05:32

I will always wait until others are around too

randomsellotape Fri 12-Feb-16 00:08:21

I'd have waited. No proof, but I have a sneaking suspicion that just driving off would be more common among dads than mums.

Bunbaker Fri 12-Feb-16 00:09:24

"but I have a sneaking suspicion that just driving off would be more common among dads than mums."

OH is more protective of DD than I am for this kind of situation.

Claybury Fri 12-Feb-16 19:14:14

I'd have gone in / waited. If in a real hurry for something important I may have driven off and texted 5 mins later to make sure everything was OK but I would not have felt relaxed doing so.

rogueantimatter Sat 13-Feb-16 20:11:34

I'd have waited too. (When I drop 19YO DD off at her flat I wait until I see the light go on in her room, so I know she's survived the journey through the corridor and stair well!) Two more minutes of my time is neither here nor there. When I drop anyone home I always wait to see them going in through the door.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sun 14-Feb-16 17:22:26

I always check that the activity is actually on as I have had to deal with children who's parents dropped and left and the activity has been cancelled. Poor lad of about age 10, left in a Judo suit and flip flops outside a closed community centre! He also didn't live locally but we managed to track down his dad at a local gym.

It wouldn't bother me too much that they were there on their own per se, but I would like to see some indication that they weren't going to be left on their own till pick up time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now