DD obsession

(4 Posts)
Higuys22 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:44:31

My DD (12) is quite obsessed with minecraft videos (watches about 10 a day and more at weekend) and I can't take her tablet away because she uses it for school work.
I think I heard a few things in the news a while ago saying they weren't good but I would like to know from other sources.
Is it bad that she watches this many and what shall I do??!!

SavoyCabbage Tue 09-Feb-16 21:53:38

Can you watch some with her to see what it's all about?

I do t see why you can't take her ipad because she uses it for homework. Last year my dd was the same with reading. My friends were all 'oh, it's lovely, I'd love it if my do would read more' but it was taking her over. She didn't want to do other things and when we were doing fun things with other people she wouldn't interact because she couldn't stop herself reading.

So I restricted it by not letting her read in the car on the way to school or until after six at night. She was eleven at the time and it didn't take long to break the cycle, she still reads a lit but is able to enjoy other things too.

MajesticWhine Wed 10-Feb-16 13:42:14

I think you should restrict them. I know it's easier said than done, but I do think 10 is too many. You don't need an official source to tell you that this is too much, it's common sense. Restricting them to a specific time of day is a good idea. say 6-7pm after homework is done maybe?

Hangtidy Wed 10-Feb-16 13:53:04

Presumably these are lets play videos? It's just other people who play minecraft running around playing the game and making funny comments. Not really something to be concerned about. As for the quantity I would just say to try to actively engage her in other things, take her to clubs in the afternoons if that's feasible for your family, or try to initiate a new hobby rather than restricting. That way you do restrict her access but also you are not the bad guy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now