Present ideas for ds when he finishes school

(13 Posts)
DPSN Mon 08-Feb-16 19:19:23

Ds will be finishing school this year and I'd like to give him something to congratulate him - not cash, though.
A year ago I had thought I would take him away for a mini-break but I don't think either of us would enjoy that now as our relationship is somewhat strained after months of extreme puberty!
Any gift suggestions?

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 19:27:44

Jesus is this a new thing? do others do this, I'll need to keep saving, its never ending.

DPSN Mon 08-Feb-16 19:32:38

Don't care if others do it and I don't expect them to.
It needn't be expensive but personal and with thought put into it.
The mini-break would have been the opportunity to spend time together before he leaves home. If our relationship had stayed how it was, it could have been very special.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Feb-16 19:39:49

So he's 18, and this will be before he goes off to University?

I would probably ask for some input from him. DS1 is 16 and i wouldn't be able to surprise him like that nothing would be right. Plus I think he would prefer the cash if I'm totally honest.

DPSN Mon 08-Feb-16 19:44:18

I have this romantic notion that it is something he will look at fondly in years to come. Cash doesn't really have that effect.

fastdaytears Mon 08-Feb-16 19:46:28

Are you sure that spending some time together wouldn't work? If you were doing something he's really keen on then would he enjoy that or is it too strained?
Ooh you two could do a sky dive, he'd remember that. Not sure where that came from, it's been a long day!

fastdaytears Mon 08-Feb-16 19:46:51

Is he 16 or 18?

KateMossIsMyQueen Mon 08-Feb-16 19:49:07

I think this is a lovely idea, I had friends who got cash dependent on their grades which always sounded a bit mental, but a thoughtful present would be fab. DH got a watch from his parents, not hugely expensive but more than an A-Level student would ever consider spending on one. He really liked that it was a "grown up" present, he has much nicer watches now, but still keeps that one on the nightstand and wears it to work / casual events.

I think my mum took me to the harvester but it was just as special at the time to be allowed to order a bottle of cheap fizzy wine! 18 year olds are v easily pleased!

DPSN Mon 08-Feb-16 19:49:23

He will be 18 in the summer.
Very strained at the moment

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 19:52:26

I gave ds money for doing great in his exams, money for driving lessons, money for his prom and related things, he's going to uni and turning 18 soon, thats why for me its never ending..and getting a part time job up here in scotland is bloody difficult for him...

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 19:54:28

whats he into op? football, rugby, music?

DPSN Mon 08-Feb-16 19:59:48

His gf mainly! And being a stroppy teenager.
Dropped his hobbies - music and hanging out/playing computer games with mates - to spend almost all his time with her.

ssd Mon 08-Feb-16 20:05:04

hmmm.....its hard, isnt it.

would a decent laptop mean something to him? I'm trying to think of something he'd use and appreciate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now