Internet rules???

(18 Posts)
TwoTooManyKidz Mon 11-Jan-16 18:01:41

Hi I'm new and looking for advice

My DS (13) says my internet rules are unfair, he can use it for homework only and is supervised, and he's not allowed social media. He has a dumb phone that can only text me and EXDH.

Is this unfair?

Thanks x

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwoTooManyKidz Mon 11-Jan-16 19:24:31

I just think there are too many dangers on the Internet for his child brain to get around.

I think I might allow him to send a few texts per week to his friends to try it out and if anything goes wrong I can go from there smile

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 19:27:34

Oh dear maybe I am lax then! Both mine have Facebook and access to the Internet (including youtube). They are 9 and 12.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 19:28:12

He won't learn to navigate the minefield unless he experiences it.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 19:29:47

We get weekly reports on sites they visit online and Internet searches they make so not totally unaware about what they are up to

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 11-Jan-16 19:31:58

It is a learning curve and he has to learn those mistakes - maybe let him have an account but not to post unless you view it. Give him some responsibility of you want him to be responsible

usual Mon 11-Jan-16 19:32:11

You need to relax your rules. He needs to learn how to keep himself safe on the internet.

You also need to let him text his mates.

ArkATerre Mon 11-Jan-16 19:34:30

No internet access apart from in family areas, the agreement that you hold all passwords and can check on any accounts for anything any time you choose ( and do so, not just an empty threat) and a discussion about what can and does go wrong when using social media.

TwoTooManyKidz Mon 11-Jan-16 19:37:23

Ok ArkATerre, I think I'll do that, and demented do you know where I can get this thing from that gives me weekly reports?

Providing I do let him use it, how long do I let him use it for and do I let him have it in his room?

Thanks x

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 19:42:53

Microsoft have something called microsoft family that does the reports for you.

account.microsoft.com/family/about

TwoTooManyKidz Mon 11-Jan-16 19:47:17

Thank you demented, I shall have a look at that and if EXDH stops being an utter twat I'll get him to do it to the laptop grin

Will his dumb phone be good enough to text his friends with or will I have to make the depressing jump to a smartphone? hmm

Thanks again for your advice x

BackforGood Mon 11-Jan-16 19:51:12

I too think you are being unfair and making life difficult for him, socially.
Teens these days do everything via their phones, you will be isolating him if he isn't allowed to do anything. I also suspect he'll just set up accounts via friends gadgets.
It's our job as parents to teach our dc how to be safe in this world, not ban them from anything that will harm them - in the same way you've no doubt taught him how to cross roads rather than saying he has to stay in the house all his life.

ArkATerre Mon 11-Jan-16 19:53:28

His current phone will be fine to text his friends. He can moan by text that his parents will only let him have an old fashioned Brick Phone and so no, they can't share that funny YouTube video with him wink

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 11-Jan-16 19:54:03

Sounds very harsh for a 13 year old. How does he make arrangements to meet his mates?

Squeegle Mon 11-Jan-16 19:55:10

demented, how do you get a report of everything they've looked at?

Squeegle Mon 11-Jan-16 19:55:40

Sorry, just saw the link!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now