How long do you leave your young teen on their own?

(9 Posts)
Kat22 Mon 11-Jan-16 15:00:24

I'm looking at returning to work full time and it's so difficult knowing what to do with older children.

I don't have any family or friends around that could look after mine and part time work seems impossible to come by.

So just wanted to know how long do you leave your children on their own whilst you are at work? Are they OK with this or are you not happy with it but it's just necessity?

SanityClause Mon 11-Jan-16 15:24:58

Mine are 16, 14 and 12. I work from home, but if worked elsewhere, I would be fine with them bring at home from 4:30 until I got home an hour or two later.

They have various after school clubs, anyway, and could always stay in the library after school to do homework, if they wanted.

balletgirlmum Mon 11-Jan-16 15:27:46

In the school holidays from 8.30am - 5pm whilst I work.

BackforGood Mon 11-Jan-16 16:34:52

During the day, whilst I'm at work.
seems pretty normal from Yr7 to me, so pre-teens.
yes, they've all had no problem with it.
Mostly, teens tend to sleep through a considerable part of the day, if lest to their own devices.

RoobyTuesday Mon 11-Jan-16 16:38:59

DS1 is 13 in year 9 - I am lucky enough to mostly work part time round school hours but if there's been a teacher training day when I'm working I leave him here from 9ish to around 4pm. Been doing this since he was in year 9 - prior to that he preferred to be with friends so as parents a group of 5 of us took it in turns to take a day off to cover the odd day needed etc and the kids would be together in and out if one particular house each day. I think it depends on how mature your child is - I know a lot of parents would be happy leaving a younger teen but my DS has only really become sensible and mature enough this last school year.

SausagesAndMashed Mon 11-Jan-16 23:51:46

My youngest was 12 when I'd leave her at home during summer holidays etc. in order for me to work. For the most part she was okay with it, would do her chores, make her lunch then she'd visit her grandparents. We'd also rent her a new game from blockbuster every week (back in the day) to keep her occupied. We live out in the sticks, so it was difficult for her to meet up with friends, but she was happy enough getting buses to the local towns to meet them for lunch. During the summer holidays (6/7 weeks for us) I would take 3 days off (one every other week) where we would go out and do things, like bowling, swimming or just a movie day so she had company. My other DD was 14, so she'd be around some days, when she finally got out of bed, and they'd often bake together, or have movie days.

BG2015 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:26:18

My 2 sons 12 & 16 both walk home and let themselves in till I get home at 5. They're fine. I'm also ok with leaving them home for inset days too.

grumpysquash2 Sun 17-Jan-16 11:59:28

My 14 and 12 yo are home from school at 3:40pm, then my 9 yo comes back from different school at about 3:50pm and they all stay in the house until one of us is back from work (usually about 6pm)

JustDanceAddict Mon 18-Jan-16 10:35:52

In the day I would leave my 13.5 year old for a few hours with no qualms as long as she was happy to be left, my 11 year old for not that long as he doesn't like it. Both of them together, a couple of hours if I had to.
I'm looking for work at the moment, but still want part time as 11 year old is not keen to come back to empty house (they get back around 4.30). They leave early though so I could work it that way. The holidays are the thing that worries me, as the 13 yr old would be fine doing her own thing - friends or being at home alone, but I'd have to make arrangements for the 11 year old. In a way it was easier working when they were younger as they'd go to holiday club. Most of my wages would go on it, but I worked it so I did longer days so they did 2 full days of club and one day DH took off or they went to friends'. If I found an 'ideal' full time job, then we'd have to work around it, but it wouldn't be easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now