OMG, yet ANOTHER pair of school shoes ruined within months - help!!

(14 Posts)
whoseafraidofnaomiwolf Fri 08-Jan-16 08:19:45

Please talk to me about tough school shoes for a boy of 12 who plays football each break time. Is there a miracle-make that can save my purse and my sanity? Any recommendations grabbed with both hands like a drowning woman grabbing a log. Argh!!!

Dragzena Fri 08-Jan-16 08:43:53

My 12 year old is on his third pair since September, I have bought him doc martens this time and they seem to be holding together a lot better. They are expensive but not in comparison to replacing them every few weeks.

Kbear Fri 08-Jan-16 08:46:55

I bought DS 14 (size 10 shoes) a pair in M&S in August - they are perpetually covered in mud but seem to be holding it together well!! They were £65 and I hope they last bit longer but his feet are growing so may not. I am feeling blessed that so far they still fit him and haven't needed replacing. Maybe try there?

Kbear Fri 08-Jan-16 08:49:48

[[http://www.marksandspencer.com/leather-lace-up-derby-shoes/p/p22399415 like these] - hasten to add he wasn't keen on them but has worn them without complaint

whoseafraidofnaomiwolf Fri 08-Jan-16 10:19:46

Thanks guys, I'll check out those M&S ones, August until Jan seems like something of a miracle!

Kbear Fri 08-Jan-16 21:07:01

My DD wore Kickers every day at secondary school - I bought one pair every year and they lasted from Sept until July - admitted June/July they looked scruffy haha but they lasted! Luckily her feet grew to a size 6 when she was 11 and stayed the same from them on! Might want to have a look at Kickers too?

CointreauVersial Fri 08-Jan-16 21:08:32

Clarks all the way (football mad teen boy here).

whoseafraidofnaomiwolf Sat 09-Jan-16 19:43:17

It's the Kickers that have worn thru (and sole separated) - admittedly they lasted from mid September to mid December, but I had hoped for longer sad

We've gone for the Geox, and we'll give them a go, but got M&S in my sights if Geox don't come good.

What on earth does he DO in them I wonder?!!

Travelledtheworld Sat 09-Jan-16 22:43:42

Clark's for us too.
One year I invested in a pair of Goretex lined black lace ups. They were £80 but were fantastic and lasted the whole year.
I persuaded the shop assistant to give me a 20% off coupon and she said
" the coupons are meant for school shoes"
I said these ARE school shoes..looking at DD 14 who had just hit six foot and was wearing size 11's.
grin

pchick Sun 10-Jan-16 10:42:35

Always used Clarks and have always lasted the year. Two,football mad sons.

lljkk Sun 10-Jan-16 10:50:07

Primark.

tumpymummy Mon 11-Jan-16 13:18:53

Clarks here too, for DS that plays football at lunch/breaktime too.
www.clarks.co.uk/p/26100793

Whilst it is really annoying replacing shoes more often I would still rather do this because it means DS is having exercise at playtime, playing in a group, getting fresh air and not moping inside on his own.

bigTillyMint Tue 12-Jan-16 07:02:25

This is why black trainers are the best shoes for boys.

My DS used to wear out Kickers that fast too - also playing footy in the playground. Last year (Y9) he refused to wear his new Kickers and wore black AirMax (that he had bought himself) to school nearly every day (much to his HoY's dismay) and they lasted all year.

Thankfully this year he has gone for proper grown-up shoes (winkle-pickers!) and they are still in great condition!

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 12-Jan-16 09:59:38

Tell him to wear trainers at break. Did that with mine then others followed. That was much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now