Am I fussing too much about letting DD stay alone overnight?

(17 Posts)
Ladylouanne Thu 31-Dec-15 09:23:28

She's 17 and is adamant she will be fine. She is very sensible and I know wouldn't be holding a party etc. She's much more likely to spend the evening catching up on her TV programmes and You Tube blogs.

Tbh, it would help me a lot if we did this occasionally. The thing is, she's had a fair bit of freedom otherwise - been to a music festival, nights out etc - I think I'm just paranoid about someone breaking into the house or something!

What do others do?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 31-Dec-15 09:26:30

Bless you, but yes, you are fussing and over thinking this. At 17 lots of people go away to college, the forces, own homes etc, so she's more than ready for overnights by herself.

She's old enough to know to lock up before she goes to bed, and in the unlikely event of an emergency will know how to call for help.

At 15 my parents regularly left me for weekends as I was such a boring sensible teenager. I never had parties and never one emergency either.

FretYeNot Thu 31-Dec-15 09:30:55

At 15 I was allowed to stay home alone occasionally. At 16 I house-sat my bf's flat whilst he was in hospital for a few days on my own. At 17 I was living independently. She'll be fine :D

nephrofox Thu 31-Dec-15 09:31:50

She'll be fine. My mum used to go on holiday for 2 weeks from when I was 14/15 ish

usual Thu 31-Dec-15 09:36:00

I think 17 is fine, I wouldn't leave a 14/15 year old overnight though. What your parents did and what you do are entirely different.

She will be fine, OP. It's so easy to stay in touch these days.

springscoming Thu 31-Dec-15 09:36:10

Depends where you live. If you have close neighbours who can be called on then fine. If you live in a remoter house with a record of burglaries then maybe not so much. I've lived in places where I wouldn't want to be alone overnight tbh.

Ginny365 Thu 31-Dec-15 09:40:22

Nephrofox - did you mind that? That seems a hell of a long time for a 14yr old!

NerrSnerr Thu 31-Dec-15 09:40:29

In less than 12 months she could be living by herself in her own flat so she needs to learn about securing the house etc. I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine.

Cornelialovett Thu 31-Dec-15 09:41:27

I agree with spring. I've lived in houses where I've been happy alone and others not as much. Where I live now I'm not as keen tbh.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 31-Dec-15 09:43:26

I leave dses at 17 and 15 for the odd night. I wouldn't leave the 15 year old alone, but think 17 is fine for every now and then.

Ladylouanne Thu 31-Dec-15 09:44:29

Thank you all - I love these replies which confirm what I suspected ie I am a total fusspot!

We do have neighbours she could call on, and yes, come September she will hopefully be off to university on her own.

Sounds like my new year's resolution needs to be to let go a little!

iwantgin Thu 31-Dec-15 09:50:34

DS is 17. He as been left home alone for a good couple of years for two/three nights at a time. Most recently a 6 nighter.

He seems to like it. Has a phone and can contact family members in case of emergency.

At that age I left home.

SparklesandBangs Thu 31-Dec-15 09:55:48

DD16 stays at home alone now, longest so far is 5 nights, she is happy, we are happy, she has family/friends she can call on if needed. Before this her older sister was at home.

Ladylouanne Thu 31-Dec-15 09:57:15

The thing is, I'm pretty sure at 17 I was left home alone and in charge of my younger sister.

Twitterqueen Thu 31-Dec-15 09:57:49

I have to leave my nearly 17yo alone for 4 nights for a business trip. She's quite happy about it but I've suggested she has a friend to stay for some of the time at least.

SeekretSquirrels Thu 31-Dec-15 13:02:31

I thought I was over protective by MN standards at least. That's not a dig OP, I really think parenting a teen is just as tricky as when they are young. Not least if you are a worrier.
Of course she will be fine and will probably love the novelty of having the house to herself. If she has the number of a friendly neighbour in case of emergency you should leave her and relax.

Hedgehoginthegarden Thu 31-Dec-15 14:27:35

If she is happy about it and you trust her, why not. I would have been happy to leave ds at that age but dd is another story. I'm never going to leave her alone at home. Ever! I dread to think what I'd come back to. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now