Daughter nearly 15 and not started her period

(21 Posts)
LeeAnne1977 Fri 11-Sep-15 13:20:48

Hi All,

I am new to the board and have been so worried regarding my daughter not starting her period yet.

She started developing breasts and pubic/underarm hair during the last year or two of primary school, has had the growth spurt, and now has all the curves in the right places.

I guess I am worrying because she started developing 5-6 years ago and she still hasn't started her period.

I took her to the doctors about it recently and she had a blood test to test hormones etc and the results have thankfully come back normal. (It was a locum doctor and took no interest in my daughter to ask her any questions on her development)

Now, being the worrier that I am, have convinced myself she has been born without a womb.

I am wondering if any of you have had experience of yourself or someone you know not having started their periods 5 years or more after developing boobs and hair?

I am going to take her back to the doctors in the new year as she is 15 on the 1st January to see if she can be referred for an ultra sound just to make sure everything internally is in order.

Any advice or experience really would be appreciated

eatingworms Fri 11-Sep-15 13:22:53

Please don't worr so much, she'sn ot even 15yet it'sn ot that unusual. I started when I was 16! Don't remember anyonew worrying abouti t.

eatingworms Fri 11-Sep-15 13:24:05

Oh dear sorry for the errors, hope you are able to read it.
I was 16 when I started my periods. Nobody was worried that I recall.

Helpmeoutofthemaze Fri 11-Sep-15 13:25:02

How heavy is she/is she small and slight? I think girls have to be over 7 1/2 stone as a guideline.

She is still only 14 so don't panic yet.

JasperDamerel Fri 11-Sep-15 13:27:09

My tall and curvy sister was 16. If your daughter is very slim or sporty that might be the issue, but it sounds very much within the normal range.

LeeAnne1977 Fri 11-Sep-15 13:28:05

She's quite curvy (not over weight) and tall. She is around 9 stone.

I know I am probably worrying over nothing but it's not the age of 14 I am worried about, more that it's been 5-6 years since she started puberty.

Sidge Fri 11-Sep-15 13:57:29

Puberty is a long process and often doesn't complete until 17-18.

If the bloods were normal I would try not to worry and just give it more time. Where I work we would only refer onwards for further investigations such as scans etc if a girl was 18 and hadn't started bleeding.

BabyGanoush Sun 13-Sep-15 15:34:07

I was 15, almost 16

I grew to be very tall. (6ft)

Often people genetically disposed to be tall have their periods much later. Basically when your periods start, you stop growing (often, not always!)

Has she reached per predicted height yet?

BabyGanoush Sun 13-Sep-15 15:35:08

I had hair 5 years before that though!

BabyGanoush Sun 13-Sep-15 15:35:56

And boobs only once I was 17, wtf was mother nature thinking!

LeeAnne1977 Mon 14-Sep-15 09:18:57

Many thanks for your replies everyone.

BabyGanoush, she is shorter than me by around 4 inches (I'm 5ft 6") so I reckon she should have a bit more growing to do (both my sister and me are taller than my mum) so with that in mind, if the trend continues, she should end up my height or a bit taller?

After talking to my daughter about it over the weekend and discussing things like whether she has been having discharge (silly, I know, but I didn't like to ask her) I feel a little bit less worried as she says she has it every day but isn't sure how long for.

Surely if she is having discharge, that must mean it's just a matter of time?!

MajesticWhine Mon 14-Sep-15 09:31:17

Yes I imagine it is just a matter of time, but why should you have to wait and worry until January. Would the doctor not refer her for an ultrasound now? Or did they say come back in January?

LeeAnne1977 Mon 14-Sep-15 10:08:51

They said they don't refer for an ultrasound until they are 15, so there isn't much more I can do at this stage...

BoboChic Mon 14-Sep-15 10:29:04

You can pay for an ultrasound privately.

VerityWaves Mon 14-Sep-15 10:34:02

I also think it's any minute now. Esp if she is getting discharge.

calamityjam Mon 14-Sep-15 10:40:15

Dsd started last year just before she turned 17. She was always very slight and under weight since birth. (malnourished ) DD is 12 and much taller and more developed than dsd at the same age. I would guess dd will probably start any time now. I was nearly 15 no boobs until ds1 came along! We are all very different

marriednotdead Mon 14-Sep-15 10:46:30

Another late starter saying don't worry here. I had armpit hair at 9 but no boobs or periods until I was over 15- and a year between first and second periods!
It will happen in time, try to relax as you don't want her to pick up on your anxiety smile

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 14-Sep-15 10:48:12

I was 16 when I started mine.

it's not time to worry yet. smile

JustDanceAddict Mon 14-Sep-15 20:53:49

My DD just started at age 13 but she is nowhere near 7 stone yet! I still think 15 is within realms of normality - my best friend at school started around 14/15 and I started at 12 and we were similar in terms of development & build.

LeeAnne1977 Fri 12-Aug-16 11:31:55

I thought I would give a quick update, because during all my worries about my daughter and reading other various threads started by concerned mothers, the one thing that struck me was most never gave a final update as to what happened. Did their daughter finally start, or was there a medical reason for lack of first period.

I'm pleased to say my daughter finally started her period at the end of last month - well over 5 years since she started puberty. Not sure why there was such a delay (as most girls start their periods 1-2 years after developing breasts), but for any concerned mothers out there, try not to worry - the period should come eventually.

situatedknowledge Fri 12-Aug-16 11:34:59

Very thoughtful of you to update!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now