Did your daughter slim down once her periods started?

(12 Posts)
Zippyzoppy Thu 23-Jul-15 15:40:18

Hi All

Up until the age of about 9 or 10, my daughter wasn't overweight. However, gradually over the last couple of years (she is now 12) her weight seems to have increased (from slim to chubby), culminating in her starting her periods about 4 months ago.

Since then, she hasn't gained any weight, and I am hoping that the weight gain was all to do with her body gearing itself up for puberty, and as that she grows taller, she will now grow into her weight.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening with their daughter (or themselves!), or am I deluding myself?

Thanks

ZZ

etKrusTe Thu 23-Jul-15 15:42:35

no. if anything she is more curvy (although not overweight). she is about 5'1" and size 8 at 12 and a half. she has thinner friends.

What you describe did happen to two of her friends. I thought they were plump at 11, two years ago. Now they are not.

etKrusTe Thu 23-Jul-15 15:43:22

ps, my dd started in Jan 15 so 6 months ago.

Alvah Thu 23-Jul-15 22:41:23

I have also read this somewhere, that pre-puberty girls could put on a bit of weight, almost as a preparation for a growth spurt. I've had similar concerns as my DD 10 put on a bit of weight in the last year. I was getting a bit worried, as she is not a very sporty girl (would rather sit and read a book and eat cake if she could). However she has just been on holiday with her dad for two weeks and has come back noticeably slimmer (and not due to lack of food) grin. It has been a gradual process, but could definitely see a difference.

So maybe with some of them this does happen...

(she's not started her periods yet, she'll be 12 in October)

Alvah Thu 23-Jul-15 22:42:50

Sorry meant to say she'll be 11 in October blush not 12

morethanpotatoprints Thu 23-Jul-15 22:47:28

No, sorry she ballooned and is really big.
She was sort of average height and build, then not only did she shoot up but gained about a stone in muscle and width and stomach.
From shoulder to shoulder is enormous, she has the large frame of ds1 and looks like a prop forward.
A bonnie lass would be a good description.
I'm sure she'll slim as she grows more though.

DixieNormas Thu 23-Jul-15 22:49:31

I did, I was really chubby for about a year before my period started

pourmeanotherglass Thu 23-Jul-15 22:52:57

DD1 seems to look a bit less slim just before a growth spurt, then she shoots up and looks slimmer again. She had a growth spurt around the time she started her periods, about 6 months ago, so is currently fairly slim.

notsoloosewoman Thu 23-Jul-15 23:02:12

My DD was 'chubby' up until she started her periods at 11. Then had growth spurt and went upward and inwards and is now size 10 (she's now 19).

Zippyzoppy Fri 24-Jul-15 10:07:29

Thanks everyone for your replies. Bit of mixed bag of responses. Will see how things go over the coming months I think.

JustDanceAddict Fri 24-Jul-15 10:12:56

She will probably slim down as she grows if she hasn't had much of an upward growth spurt yet. Girls def put on weight during puberty, but mine was very slim to start with so it's not noticeable really - she is only 6 stone, and over 5'4" at just 13. It's in the genes!

BathtimeFunkster Fri 24-Jul-15 10:21:37

I guess it depends on the family.

I was the latest grower of my siblings and I haven't grown an inch since I was 13.

One sister stopped at 12. The other had gained her full height by 11!

So I wouldn't necessarily be relying on further height being added.

But I know that can vary enormously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now