Eighteen year olds and drinking

(16 Posts)
mumslife Sat 04-Jul-15 20:54:40

At the risk of sounding like some kind of dinosaur my dd drinking is starting to stress me out
She seems to have hit eighteen finished her A levels and gone mad like there is no tomorrowshock shock shock
She talks about drinking all the time what she has had what so and so did when drunk what she did etc etc.
She is up for any party an excuse to get drunk etc etc
It starting to drive me a bit madshock
Seemongly she can hold her drink and never so far has been sick or suffered a hang over she seems to be drinking more each time but not sure as dont think she tells me whole thingshock
So far tonight at home she has had two gin and tonics and a cider dh doesnt seem too botheredshock
She is off to uni in september and am worried she will be spending most of her money on drink and or i will be keeping the whole uni in booze as is quite a generous girl particularly when drunksad sad sad
I feel worried she is overdoing it and needs to calm down so many parties at the moment eighteenths end of exams prom soon be leaving for uni parties
I dont kniw if I am being silly and stuck in the dark ages but her whole world aeems to be revolving around drink
To be fair she is a hard working girl worked hard at gcse and a levels and am sure she will do similar at uni. it seems like she has suddenly turned into some socual party animalshock
is anyone experiencing similar?smile

circular Sun 05-Jul-15 09:32:58

Sounds like she is letting her hair down after a stressful couple of A level years. I'm all for them 'learning to drink' before going off to Uni. My biggest fear would be going crazy during freshers week and doing something they regret.

Sometimes it's better when they do get a horrid hangover and don't think its worth bothering again. But does not look too likely for your DD.

I can see why you are worrying, perhaps thinking could be the start of a drink ptoblem. I would be concerned abou the drinking indors if its becoming excessive and / or habitual. Especially if she starts hiding drink, or shutting herself aeay in her room to drink. If its just the odd drink pre-dinner, and it's with the family, that should be fine. Maybe try and encourage her off the spirits if that seems to be increasing?

Another thought - Is she bored now that school is over. Were most of her hobbies/interests tied to school. Apart from the obvious preparing for Uni, is there anything else she can focus on in the summer? Any new hobbies, or resurrect an old one?
Cookery course?
Learn to drive?

My own DD nearly 18, has the odd beer or cider indoors, usually with a curry. Maybe the idd glass of wine with a meal, or Pimms if DH is making, but it's usually instigated by DH. Does drink quite a bit at parties, but seems to have learnt her limits. Has been drunk once, hadn't eaten, mixed drinks unwisely. Mother of all hangovers and an instrument lesson the next morning with a teetotal teacher (who she didn't dare tell). Not done it since lol. Incredibly busy with other stuff, so parties not her main focus.

circular Sun 05-Jul-15 09:33:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

circular Sun 05-Jul-15 09:33:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DurhamDurham Sun 05-Jul-15 09:42:01

I wouldn't worry yet, she has had a stressful busy time. She is probable making the most of a good summer before she embarks upon the next stage in her life. You could chat to her about the dangers of drinking too much too often. I've two girls 22 and 18, they have both had periods were they drank more than at other times but parties all happened around the same time, nights out were arranged within days of each other etc.
Both mine drive so they both have stints as designated drivers too so they are capable of having a night out without having a drinksmile

DurhamDurham Sun 05-Jul-15 09:42:34

I wouldn't worry yet, she has had a stressful busy time. She is probable making the most of a good summer before she embarks upon the next stage in her life. You could chat to her about the dangers of drinking too much too often. I've two girls 22 and 18, they have both had periods were they drank more than at other times but parties all happened around the same time, nights out were arranged within days of each other etc.
Both mine drive so they both have stints as designated drivers too so they are capable of having a night out without having a drinksmile

JeanSeberg Sun 05-Jul-15 09:46:23

Isn't she working over the summer? What's her plan for the next 2.5 months till uni starts?

TheBreeze Sun 05-Jul-15 09:55:25

When they get to 18 and can legally drink they do seem to get a bit obsessed with it but it will be a phase that will pass. I am sure that it doesn't help that before 18 alcohol is such a banned substance nowadays and suddenly at 18 you can do this. DS was the same and so were a lot of his friends. I can't remember when I was younger it was like this but then I sneaked into the pub at 15, so it was more gradual as they didn't ID you in those days and Im sure young people drank more sensibly.

mumslife Sun 05-Jul-15 09:56:59

i think it is sbout letting her hair down but it seems to be more than i thought it would be but not sure this is me being somewhat out of touchshock
She is working over the summer
She def doesnt drink secretly or anything though doesnt tell me what she actually drinks when out or how much she buys drinks for others which i am not sure is recipricatedshock
I guess once she gets to uni after threshers week she will have her course to think about and maybe some of her focus will be on that rather than constantly focussing on occasions when she is going to drink drunking games who drank what etc etcsmile
Thanks for peoples thoughts so far any others appreciatedsmile smile smile

mumslife Sun 05-Jul-15 09:59:30

just to add never fortunately drunk before about seventten and a half so very much a new and big thing ifyswim
At the moment do many occasions going on prom eighteenths end of term parties off to uni parties etc etvshock shock shock

TheBreeze Sun 05-Jul-15 10:09:14

Yes DS used to like to go into Asda and buy it with his ID, like it was a really big thing and they talked about it a lot, who was going to get the alcohol etc., he actually called it alcohol like it was a substance, not wine or beer.

First term at Uni seemed to be a lot of drinking and then it seemed to die down as they all settled into their courses. DS drinks normally now, the odd beer or glass of wine and said he didn't like to go to some of the festivals like Leeds and Reading as it was all youngsters getting drunk but he liked Glastonbury as he could relax with a beer outside his tent. He's 22.

rogueantimatter Sun 05-Jul-15 11:54:04

DD went through a similar phase too - always talking about different alcoholic drinks. Vodka is her preferred tipple apparently. Calmed down after a few months and coped at uni.

I'm not quite sure why you are shocked by this behaviour. It seems to be normal/very common for girls her age in this country (unfortunately)

HormonalHeap Sun 05-Jul-15 13:25:25

Just be grateful she's only drinking. My dd 17 recently started smoking and has just come home from sampling the delights of Amsterdam cafes

mumslife Sun 05-Jul-15 15:20:29

rogue

not shocked exactly just a bit concerned. i am out of tou h with how things are I guessgrin
Yes at least not drugs etcshock

rogueantimatter Sun 05-Jul-15 19:44:31

She'll soon discover that it's bad for her skin and very calorific. Perhaps that will help.

mumslife Sun 05-Jul-15 19:49:53

hope so roguesmile smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now