TV, recording, catchup for teen

(11 Posts)
TeenAndTween Thu 21-May-15 11:17:19

DD1 is going to turn 16 soon after she finishes her GCSEs.
We're thinking of giving her TV watching functionality in her bedroom for the first time.
Mainly so she can watch stuff in the early evenings that is not suitable for her 10yo sister, and also let us watch our choice on the downstairs TV.

I think she needs to be able to
- watch TV
- play DVDs
- record?
- watch stuff on catchup?

We don't do Sky or anything, so just freeview digital.

What do you recommend? Any pitfalls to watch out for or things we might not have considered?

titchy Thu 21-May-15 11:36:54

Ours just watch catch up or illegaldownloaded films on their laptops. I think kids now very rarely watch live tv!

AlpacaMyBags Thu 21-May-15 11:43:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeenAndTween Thu 21-May-15 11:43:47

So does catch-up negate any real need to record?

Is there a certain spec laptop needed, or just fast internet? Laptop would be easier and we were thinking of upgrading for 6th form anyway.

TeenAndTween Thu 21-May-15 11:45:56

Definitely no illegal downloading allowed in our house!
Netflix costs doesn't it?
Internet enabled DVD player - not heard of that!

crazyauntie Thu 21-May-15 12:11:36

A smart TV? They start from around £140 and come with a DVD player built in. It also allows access to the Internet and comes with things like Netflix, 4od and bbc Iplayer built in. Netflix costs £7 a month which you can stop at anytime. The only thing a smart TV cannot do is record but if you've got all of the catch up things you don't really need to be able to record. Hope this helps!

cdtaylornats Thu 21-May-15 12:19:24

Higher spec laptop rather than a smart TV. Anything a smart TV can do a laptop can do better and there is less chance of it being made obselete. You can get all of the catch up functions on a laptop.

SecretSquirrels Thu 21-May-15 15:35:21

I have a 17 year old and 19 year old. As titchy says they rarely watch tv in the old fashioned sense. Whatever they do watch they use their computer or laptop.
DS1 is at uni and uses our Skygo and Netflix login. DS2 watches dodgy websites mostly youtube.
You do have to pay for Netflix but it's only about £6 a month. A year's subscription would make a nice birthday present for a teen.

Having said that I do find that a mutually adored trashy tv series is a good way to spend time with a teenage boy. Greys is our favourite blush.

TeenAndTween Thu 21-May-15 21:14:52

So when watching on a laptop, do they just sit or lie on their bed, with laptop on lap or bed?

Is there an issue with the viewing angle on the screen at all (I find this an issue with laptops)?

(This is TV/laptops 101 I know. You wouldn't think I worked for a TV manufacturer for 20 years would you?)

SecretSquirrels Thu 21-May-15 21:37:12

Mine have a desk with computer in their room where they do school work and watch wherever they watch.

BackforGood Sat 23-May-15 00:42:39

My 2 older teens only ever watch TV progs on their laptops.
Just pick up iPlayer or 4OD or whatever.

Sometimes sit/lie on bed - dd more likely to sit on the chair she has for her desk but ds sometimes lies in bed and sometimes puts it on his desk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now