Bank account for 13 year old

(8 Posts)
blondebird69 Tue 12-Aug-14 19:55:13

I would like to open a bank account for my 13 year old DS. He spends money like it is going out of fashion but would like an account where he would have a bank account, a set limit he can withdraw and I can put his pocket money in every month. Can anyone recommend one?

saadia Tue 12-Aug-14 20:00:19

The easiest way would be to open an account with the same bank that you have an account with. I opened one for ds2 at a bank where I don't have an account and it took forever to set up, hour long meeting and all manner of paperwork.

most banks have child accounts with a debit card for that age group. I would get it at the same bank as you have an account as pp said

dementedma Tue 12-Aug-14 20:58:05

We just set up an account at the local bank for Ds 12.He is very excited. He carefully used his new card to remove his £20 and then went into the bank to practice paying it back in!

ThePartyArtist Wed 13-Aug-14 14:25:33

Have a look at Osper which is designed for this age group and to practice financial responsibility in a manageable way https://osper.com/

Abilly72 Thu 21-Aug-14 17:08:52

If he spends money like it is going out of fashion -ie reckless and stupid -simple....stop giving him money

Dancergirl Sun 24-Aug-14 00:18:59

I've just opened Lloyd's bank accounts for my 2 dds aged 13 and 11. It pays 2% which isn't bad. They get a debit/cash point card and I pay their monthly allowance directly in.

EveryThingIsImpossible Wed 10-Sep-14 22:22:38

My DS (12) has a NatWest Adapt & First Saver. 1% (bit dodge but there u go) mobile banking transfers etc
Set up like standard customer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now