Holiday job for just 16 year old dd

(9 Posts)
wonderingwoman64 Thu 05-Jun-14 16:43:32

Dd is about to come to the end of her GCSES, and the long summer holidays are ahead of her!

She has planned to volunteer to work at a GP Practice (has been there before, and the Practice Manager has agreed she can come back). However she also quite fancies some paid work (as do I...). But she isn't sure where to begin to find this. I know she's left it quite late but she has been very busy with exams.

Do employers take on 16 year olds - and if so which ones? I suggested she takes her (very brief!) CV round to independent businesses locally. But I am not sure whether places like Tesco / ASDA etc also take on 16 year olds. We live in London so in theory there is a wide range of possibilities but neither dd nor I really know how to go about finding out more. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

BackforGood Thu 05-Jun-14 17:16:03

The big supermarkets are unlikely to - they can pick and choose from adults looking for work. My experience is all the applying for jobs is now on-line for them.
Local businesses / cafes etc might. There was a thread offering advice on this quite recently.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 05-Jun-14 17:23:07

Try a local garden centre? At that age I had a great job working in the greenhouse, potting out seedlings etc

The big supermarkets do employ 16-yr-olds but you generally need to get your application in early. They won't accept an application before the child is 16 - DS1's birthday is in July so he was very miffed that by the time he was old enough to apply, his older mates had got all the jobs. He did get one later though.

Worth trying them all smile

& yes, look at the websites of any shops she could get to for work (not just supermarkets) - they'll usually have a jobs link on the home page if that's how they do it.

Cardinal Thu 05-Jun-14 18:40:28

A football club? Lots of great work in hospitality there - and excellent tips. Sadly the season won't start until August. They hire in July (check clubs websites) and as they only work match days they are very manageable workloads for people in full time education.

jobsearch direct any use?

MaureenMLove Thu 05-Jun-14 19:32:59

It's not going to be easy, that's for sure. You need to know that, because it is soul destroying frankly.

DD didn't manage to get a job until she was 17 and it was tough. She's just spent the half term looking for another job, as the one she had came to an unfortunate end, but she spent 6 hours on the internet applying, uploading CV and answering numerous aptitude tests. She applied for 18 in that time and she has had reply from 1. sad

At 16, I'd suggest local shops. Bakers, cafes, newsagents, etc. The majority of chain shops are online. Some will employ 16 year olds.

Best of luck. Hope she gets something quickly! smile

Leeds2 Thu 05-Jun-14 20:05:13

Wimbledon employ a lot of catering, washer uppers, waiting, retail etc staff for the tournament, but I don't know if they employ 16 year olds, and if you are too late. The only one I have known work there was doing his degree, but the waiting staff in the corporate areas look younger than that.

My nephew had a job as a pot washer in a pub at 16. He wasn't old enough to wait tables, prepare food etc. That wasn't a summer job though, he did it for a couple of years.

Our garden centre also employ a lot of young summer staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now