travel insurance for under 18's

(11 Posts)
cmharrassed Tue 03-Jun-14 20:56:02

Does anyone have a recommendation for a travel insurance company which will insure over 16's but under 18's not travelling with anyone over 18? There must be some out there but I'm finding it difficult finding one! Many thanks.

exexpat Tue 03-Jun-14 21:02:49

Have you tried student-focused places like STA or Endsleigh?

I haven't tried to do this recently, but may need to in a couple of years, as DS has an August birthday, so for any post-A-level holidays with friends he may still be under 18. I'm sure it used to be possible - I was travelling abroad by myself at 17 and I'm sure I had insurance.

exexpat Tue 03-Jun-14 21:05:11

Just had a google and found this one: Under 18 travel insurance

exexpat Tue 03-Jun-14 21:07:11

And looks like there are quite a few other companies that do it.

cmharrassed Tue 03-Jun-14 21:18:22

Thanks exexpat - I had found the second link but a lot of them are 18 and over or won't do under 18 with pre-existing medical conditions. Tried Endsleigh but they are over 18, STA have no facility to declare medical conditions and Essential travel won't let me have an online quote for under 18 with medical declarations! Sigh ... it was so much easier when teenagers still wanted to go on holiday with their parents!

exexpat Tue 03-Jun-14 21:56:18

Ah, the medical conditions is an extra complication. Maybe try an insurance broker, or try calling one or two of the companies and speaking to a real person? It can be hard these days when everything is so set up to be done online and the computer says 'too complicated…'.

Pimmpom Wed 04-Jun-14 07:09:25

I am in the same position and just looking a policies. Have a look at the Post Office. I haven't phoned the medical screening line yet but am hopeful I can get this one for ds.

fridayfreedom Wed 04-Jun-14 07:15:25

I have used the post office a few times for DS15. About £22 I think. No medical conditions though .

cmharrassed Wed 04-Jun-14 08:18:22

Thanks for the Post Office suggestion - I did look at that last night but you need to ring to discuss medical screening for under 18's with them. Pimmpom, I went with good old M&S in the end - I had to be the policy holder but that still allowed independent travel of my 16 year old and I found the online medical screening very efficient ... and it was a competitive price.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 04-Jun-14 08:42:00

I used the Post Office last year for my (then) 15 and 16 yo's. It wasn't the cheapest, but had good coverage for the cost. (Some of the really cheap ones aren't actually worth getting when you look at what you'd get back!)

Pimmpom Wed 04-Jun-14 09:11:13

Thanks so much cmharrassed. I stupidly had looked at M&S but didn't do the quote through to the end as thought I had to buy the policy for me and ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now