Reassure me I'm not the only one with a 'giant' DS

(62 Posts)
stella69x Tue 20-May-14 22:27:18

Just had to send a chest measurement to the rugby team for next years shirts. DS is 14 and measuring 44".
He was only 38 in September when I bought school stuff. I bought big for growing room but didn't think he would grow 6" in 6 months!
Poor boy his school shirts must be killing him. Poor me my pocket is going to hurt as I feel the need to replace most of his tops now

madeofkent Thu 12-Jun-14 17:09:50

This thread reminds me of my nephew, now 26 but as a teen his parents had to have a bed made for him because longer beds weren't available over here for 6'6" teens 12 years ago!

BuzzLightbulb Thu 12-Jun-14 16:11:18

And next comes the clumsy phase because they can't control their bodies properly.

My daughter can trip over thin air.

kyessleigh Thu 12-Jun-14 14:18:00

Hi you are deffo not the only one with a giant ds my 14 yr old is 6ft 4inch and 17 stone of muscle and and attitude to match lol xx

SpottieDottie Tue 03-Jun-14 05:09:25

Thanks soontobe I have already ordered some welling tons describes as short welling tons but if they are no good I will order women's ones. Not sure why auto correct makes it two words but it is better than the it making it willies or I'd be talking about short willies,,,,

stealthsquiggle Mon 02-Jun-14 14:15:29

My DS is 11, about 5ft 6, size 7 feet. I am bracing myself for that growth spurt. Since all the men in my family are over 6ft, and so is DH, he is going to be tall - but not a string bean, as he has really broad shoulders already.

His godfather who never sees him sent him an age 11 t shirt for Christmas. It got given straight to 7yo DD, and fits her well. I don't even bother shopping children's sizes for DS any more, except for school trousers which seem to go up to large teenage sizes. hmm.

IrianofWay Mon 02-Jun-14 14:05:53

No, you are not alone. 17 yr old DS is 6'2 and seem to be growing at the rate of an inch a month! He is truth be told a little porky but I suspect the porkiness will disappear in the next 12 months or so as he continues to grow and he will end up long and thin just like his uncle and cousin.

SHoes are size 12. Only reason his jeans are long enough is that he wears them around his arse!!!

Spottie - get woman's ones, they are not so long in the leg and if you choose black or green then who can tell?

I got some reasonably priced on Amazon recently - men's size 10s for under a tenner delivered!

SpottieDottie Mon 02-Jun-14 13:12:02

Wellingtons are the issue here, some are needed for a school trip to a farm but size 6.5 wellingtons means men's sizing and so crazy prices and the length is too long for a 10 year old.

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywench Mon 02-Jun-14 12:24:16

My DS is nearly 17, size 10-11 (depends on the shoe design) feet and wears a mans XL because he has ridiculously broad shoulders, 46" chest and 17-18 neck thanks to DH's giant genes. He's an incidious grower and is now 6' but will prob end up at 6'3-4 same as DH (who hit his full height at 13 shock) because he is still stretching...

I have taken to lowering the hems on his trousers because he has longer legs than DH (36 compared to DH's 35, which is important apparently hmm) grin I do like to remind them that DSD2 is 5'9 with a 36 inch leg, which means she has longer legs than them in proportion to her height wink

No1 son is 13, 5' 10 and size 10 shoes and a mans M to L
No2 Son is 12, 5' 9.5" and a size 9 shoes and wear's Mens M.

Re the car comment earlier, My OH has an estate already so when I was changing my car from a 3 door Clio I didn't want another really big car. I've gone for a Nissan Note as you can slide the back seats back and make a bit smaller boot but does give acres of leg room - to the point where they can stretch out, but it still isn't too big a car.

moolady1977 Sun 01-Jun-14 01:31:07

and i thought my ds of 14 was bad at 5`9 size 9 shoe and in mens large tops he towers me and is fast catching his dad

JamJim, I'll help you redress the balance, DS (12, 13 in Sept) is 4'5 1/2", 4st and size 2 shoe. He mostly wears age 9 clothes, and clearly walks among giantsgrin.
He was pleased to find this week he's finally tall enough not to need a car booster seat any more!

LizzieVereker Sat 31-May-14 18:38:43

Honeybeer we have the same problem with school trousers. DS is 34 long leg. The school shop ones don't fit DS, but a lot of men's trousers look "fuddy duddy" on him. He will wear the Good Souls ones from the Littlewoods catalogue - they're dearer than school shop ones, but smart enough for school, not too uncool for DS, and last really we'll.

LizzieVereker Sat 31-May-14 18:33:45

DS1 is 14, 6ft 2, and size 12 feet. Where will we even buy shoes if his feet grow more?

DS has 34" inside leg and 33" waist, school trousers are a nightmare!

DS is 16, 6ft 3 and size 11 shoe

DD on the other hand, age 23, 5 ft 6 and size 5 shoe

Both eat for England grin

Best1sWest Sat 31-May-14 18:20:43

H&m, Matalan are good too.

bigTillyMint Thu 29-May-14 11:42:38

Yes Primarni here too - he's a mens medium! He does have some branded sports tops, and loads of fashion trainers as well as his actual sports kits.

papalazaru Thu 29-May-14 10:55:27

Same here liberty - people expect them to behave like 16year olds when they're only 12! We also shop in primark and have found some good stuff in BHS but mine really isn't into fashion or clothes. His favourite jeans are boden ones - a nice relaxed fit and very soft denim. Not cheap but they have lasted ages and they're on sale right now!

libertytrainers Thu 29-May-14 09:35:42

where do you all get clothing for these boys? primark is the only place i can find that isn't ridiculously expensive, all kids clothing is way too small

libertytrainers Thu 29-May-14 09:34:10

it's annoying though as people think he's older than he is and don't realise he's still a kid into kids things sad

libertytrainers Thu 29-May-14 09:33:33

love this thread!

my ds(12) is 5ft 7 wears mens large in primark and has size 10 feet. when will he stop growing

louby44 Thu 29-May-14 09:31:44

DS14 5'11'' and size 11 shoes

DS11 5' 5' and size 9 shoes

Their dad and I are both tall so we knew we would have a couple of 6 footers. I'm glad, I think tall men are great!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 25-May-14 10:22:13

Dnephew is 6'4" at 14. He can also move silently, which is really disturbing.

bigTillyMint Sat 24-May-14 21:16:38

DS is 13 and has grown very fast - also having trouble with muscles and ligaments. Went from size 7 footy boots at the start of last season to size 11 at the start of this season. He is still getting taller, but his feet haven't got any bigger thankfully. He is not a giant yet, but is taller than me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now