Marijuana plants - irresponsible parenting or pragmatism ?!

(115 Posts)
Claybury Tue 15-Apr-14 17:47:27

My DS 16 and his friends regularly smoke weed on weekend night - something I hate but really have no power to stop. I have often wondered how they afford /obtain it. Well it seems quite normal to grow your own plant now, DS says his mates do, and tried to persuade DH that it's a good idea, avoids using dealers, and I think they grow a mild strain - they also know what they are getting. ( not skunk).
I will not allow this in my house as I do not want anyone in my family smoking anything but with other parents allowing it and the boys not touching alcohol as usual I am the out of touch strict bad guy. DH doesn't like him smoking anything but seemed almost persuaded by the arguments ( he told DS 'your mum would never allow it ')
Someone back me up please !!!!!

Coconutty Tue 15-Apr-14 17:50:16

Tell your DS and your DH that they are fucking idiots.

NigellasDealer Tue 15-Apr-14 17:52:13

to be honest i am with your DH on this one - they are going to smoke it anyway.
skunk is dangerously strong and he could grow a weaker strain.
sometimes skunk is sprinkled with ground glass to up the weight.
you wouldnt have to use dealers
it would be cheaper
son would know exactly what he was smoking

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 15-Apr-14 17:53:05

If you permit it on your premises you are committing an offence, aren't you?

HeggateChocolatier Tue 15-Apr-14 17:55:05

Give the police a call, see if they can give you any back up. hmm seemed almost persuaded. Is he normally as thick as mince? The consequences for growing it are FAR more severe than for just smoking a bit!

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 15-Apr-14 17:56:59

Don't call the police shock

How will that help anything?

Claybury Tue 15-Apr-14 17:57:01

Yes it is illegal. I won't ever allow it. Just canvassing opinion. It is, IMO possible to turn a blind eye to some things teens do , but I will not facilitate any drug use. ( I removed his allowance months ago, but he still smokes somehow- if mates are growing it it's not going to expensive is it?)

Coco - you are right in this instance !

Skivvysue Tue 15-Apr-14 17:58:21

Perhaps u should have a refresh of the side effects to reinforce your reserve!

specialsubject Tue 15-Apr-14 18:00:25

Alternative - son could get a life and stop smoking his tiny brain to mush? Or maybe find some friends who have some interests?

I know he thinks he is invincible but this stuff is illegal for a reason.

certainly don't facilitate it. Make sure he knows all the dangers, not just physical and mental but how a criminal record will affect his future.

HeggateChocolatier Tue 15-Apr-14 18:02:03

that was sarcasm. Dripping, I thought. Clearly not.

Custardo Tue 15-Apr-14 18:02:08

get rid of your dh hes a dick

stop paying for your DSs phone

NurseyWursey Tue 15-Apr-14 18:07:27

Are you actually kidding?

He is 16. He is living under your roof. You HAVE got the power to stop it. If I'd have done this at 16 my mum would have killed me.

I can't believe your DH thinks growing might even be a good idea.

A girl I know had her house burned to the ground because next door were growing cannabis. She had an idea they were growing beforehand because her baby's room stunk of it. Such a ridiculous idea.

NigellasDealer Tue 15-Apr-14 18:10:08

well i think it is a great idea, despite all the hysteria on this thread.
it would keep him away from the really strong dangerous stuff.
and he not about to start some mahoosive plantation is he?
what a couple of plants?
wowzers.

NurseyWursey Tue 15-Apr-14 18:12:34

Nigella do you honestly think it'll stop there, he'll end up selling it. Without a doubt.

And if they got caught - would you really want your son with that on his record? He won't just get a possession charge. He'll get intent to supply.

NigellasDealer Tue 15-Apr-14 18:14:14

actually nursey i was just thinking that he might be tempted to sell it....and that would be v bad

This sounds like weak parenting. Isn't it illegal? Is that not an argument?

Really!? People think this is a GOOD idea !? Keeps him away fromd dealers, My guess would be that he was dealing himself of he has no money and no job but has money to live and smoke weed.

Nearly everyone in my family smokes weed. I am not against it. But the law is so for that reason it is not a good idea, it could land you and everyone else in a lot of trouble. It is an imprisonable offence you know to grow and supply a class b drug hmm

I understand how it may be hard to get your son to stop. However I would make him aware of the dangers, the gateway, how to be safe etc and I would also be having a frank conversation about how he is getting his money

Marihuana is not harmless, it can trigger schizophrenia for example

NurseyWursey Tue 15-Apr-14 18:16:17

actually nursey i was just thinking that he might be tempted to sell it....and that would be v bad

You can really smell it in the house too, like straight away. A few of my friends grew it in the past and it stunk. Maybe my super nose I dunno...

Claybury Tue 15-Apr-14 18:16:44

There will be no growing on my property ! But I can't stop him smoking when his mates are growing it ! It's a free supply !
Last day of term , year 11, last week, picture my local park - literally dozens of kids smoking the stuff. Nobody stops them.

We'll then you don't need an argument. You just say no like you have here. You are the parent

NigellasDealer Tue 15-Apr-14 18:20:21

"this stuff is illegal for a reason"

yes as a sop to the cotton kings of the USA, stop hemp cultivation being in competition with cotton. and a raft of other reasons none of them to do with anyone's health
link here

NigellasDealer Tue 15-Apr-14 18:21:15

anyway if you have already decided to say no, which is more than fair enough, why are you asking us? grin

usualsuspectt Tue 15-Apr-14 18:23:37

You can't stop him smoking it, but growing it is not a good idea.

I follow my local police force on Facebook grin
They've arrested and charged nearly every week recently in relation to growing weed.
I've also had scratch and sniff cards through my door to help people recognise the smell of growing marihuana plants and advice on how to report. They are hot on it! He's 16 he doesn't need this on his record, it couldn't effect many things in his future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now