teenage bra size

(15 Posts)
anniepanniepears Tue 08-Apr-14 19:54:54

my daughter has just got her prom dress which needs taking in a couple of millimetres , the seamstress does not want to alter it until she gets he gets the bra that she is going to wear on the night
it will have to be a mulltiway bra for the shape of the dress
the problem is she wont let anyone measure her as she is embarrassed
I worked with Playtex for 14 years and I reckon she is a 28c or 30b
do any of you ladies know were I can buy a bra this size
Thanks

50KnockingonabiT Tue 08-Apr-14 20:04:39

have a look at boux avenue, that's where I'd look first.

MacMum2627 Tue 08-Apr-14 23:26:48

I would reccoment marks and spencer or la senza- that's where my DD got hers

anniepanniepears Wed 09-Apr-14 07:33:25

thanks ladies off shopping today

You won't get anything below a 30 in Boux Avenue or La Senza, try John Lewis.
Could you get her to measure herself?
Tape measure tight round the underbust = back size
Measure reasonably loosely around bust to find cup size.
If the difference between those two measurements is <1in she's a AA
1in A
2in B
3in C
4in D
5in DD
6in E

Etc.
If she needs a bra, she's probably at least a D, especially as teenagers tend to have smaller backs than adults.
Don't let M&S measure her, she'll end up with a bra that's far too big in the back and too small in the cup, as they still use the outdated "add 5in" measuring method.

frenchfancy Thu 10-Apr-14 06:45:44

I got a multiway for DD in John Lewis. M+S were useless for the smaller back sizes.

If she wont let you measure her get her to do it herself. Show her the bra intervention thing that explains the right way to do it.

Cerisier Thu 10-Apr-14 15:39:41

DD18 just got some new bras in La Senza, she used the bra advice I had gleaned on MN and tried lots of different sizes. It turned out that 32DD was the right size- she was very surprised as was expecting 32C.

Theas18 Thu 10-Apr-14 17:25:05

I'd bet she's a D cup LOL

Try our favourite shop ( DD2 and mine) bravissimo. Even if she's isn't bravissimo sized they'll advise her, but I'm with InMysparetime I bet she's bigger than you think and smaller backed too .

bevelino Sat 12-Apr-14 21:25:12

I very much doubt a professional dress maker needs the actual bra she will be wearing and I am not surprised your dd is embarrassed.

Nocomet Tue 15-Apr-14 18:31:18

I can get my lace up the back ball gown on without a bra, easily. It wont do up at all with a strapless underwired bra. It really does make a surprising difference.

hertsmumof2 Tue 15-Apr-14 20:17:12

anniepanniepears Have you had any luck bra shopping? Still a distinct lack of 28 and 30 backsize bras on the market!

Hulababy Tue 15-Apr-14 20:21:19

M&S and Debenhams both had multiway bras is a 30 band width. Got dd one yesterday in a 30d.

anniepanniepears Tue 22-Apr-14 14:21:01

I managed to get a 30b on line from a place called Simply Beach UK
have a wee look some nice bras available

DoNotLookDown Wed 23-Apr-14 13:33:50

I'm a professional dressmaker and yes I do ask for the actual bra the person will be wearing before I measure for a bespoke dress or making any alterations to a bought dress, especially now as most bras seem to be padded. You'd be surprised how much difference it can make to the fitting of a dress, on a tight fitting bodice it can make up to a couple of centimeters difference!

DD is a 28C and we got lovely bras and a nice selection from John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now