Please help me help my daughter

(123 Posts)
Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:06:20

My DD16 has been put in permanent seclusion . Had a meeting with head teacher today to try and persuade him to allow her back into class but he wasn't budging on his decision. DD is distraught and verging on hysterical. I've tried to talk to her but she tells me to leave her alone. She's standing outside sobbing uncontrollably.

It's breaking my heart. I'm so worried about her mental state.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Thu 20-Mar-14 19:07:45

Why has she been put there?

Is it the behaviour that led to this that you want help with, or what is happening now?

ExcuseTypos Thu 20-Mar-14 19:09:34

Do you know why?

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:10:03

She was abusive to a teacher , I can understand the heads decision- he had no choice really. It's her mental state right now I'm worried about. She won't let me near her or even talk to her.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Thu 20-Mar-14 19:11:15

I would provide food she likes, a warm drink, run a bath for her. Let her have a good night of sleep and talk about it tomorrow.

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:12:32

She's outside pulling her hair and hitting herself round the head. I can't even talk to her. She's hysterical

ExcuseTypos Thu 20-Mar-14 19:13:03

I agree, just concentrate on calming her down.

Tell her not to worry about what she's done tonight, you will all try to sort it tomorrow/next week.

BitsinTatters Thu 20-Mar-14 19:13:59

Is there any one who may help? A relative or friend?

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:14:27

The seclusion is a done deal . She won't talk to me and screams at me if I try

BitsinTatters Thu 20-Mar-14 19:14:31

Go out and give her a big cuddle and tell her it will all be ok and you love her

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:14:53

No there's no one

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:16:52

I've tried to hug her but she won't let me near her. I so want to comfort her but she won't let me. I've told her I love her and I'm here and always will be.

ExcuseTypos Thu 20-Mar-14 19:16:54

Do as Bits said. If she screams at you tell her you will wait for her to calm down.

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 19:20:12

It's like she's in a black hole and can't see any future . She's said she's not going to take her exams ( gcse's). I've told her that I don't mind if she doesn't , there's years and years in front of her ( I went to Uni aged 39) I can't bear to see her so desperate

ExcuseTypos Thu 20-Mar-14 19:23:12

I'd go and be with her Doin.

littlegreenlight1 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:28:18

While she is so hysterical, nothing, absolutely nothing will go in so as the others said, you need to just tell her youre there for her - she probably wont respond to physical touch right now so just let her know youre there when she needs you.
Realistically once a child is "flooded" it will take several hours for them to get over it. DO NOT try and approach any of the matter until tomorrow as it could easily escalate again and again.
Good luck X

headlesslambrini Thu 20-Mar-14 19:39:30

just sit in the same room, don't try to start a conversation, let her do it. she needs time and space.

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 20-Mar-14 19:51:30

Do you know what caused her to be abusive to the teacher?

What I mean to say is, has something been bothering her long term and she's lashed out at the teacher and then being punished for it has taken her over the edge?

How is she normally within herself? Does she have good friends/siblings she is close to?

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:32:07

She's always been troubled . I've been asking for help since she was 7. She won't let me even sit with her . We can't carry on like this.

SS are coming tomorrow . We have a social worker, she's quite good

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:33:20

She's an only child an has very little contact with girl friends . She's got a BF and spends most of her time with him but they argue quite a lot.

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:35:27

She's been like this for 3 days. I'm so worried about her and me TBH

Travelledtheworld Thu 20-Mar-14 20:51:46

Doin. I have followed all your other posts and this has been going on for weeks hasn't it? Good that you are sharing with us again.
But for now, just ignore her. She is safe at home. Let her rant and rage and get it out of her system.

headlesslambrini Thu 20-Mar-14 20:53:18

sounds like anxiety is a long term issue. It may be that the learning environment of school doesn't suit her and her anxiety has got out of control. This can happen very subtly over a number of months / years.

I'd try a distraction technique - anything which you think will work, possibly music, crafts etc. If she is highly anxious then be prepared for it to take time but whatever you try, don't give up on it if it doesn't appear to be working within the first hour or so.

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:57:59

Travelled this has been building for years . I feel a total failure. Our relationship has always been difficult . I think it's best to leave her alone for now. I literally can't say anything to her without making it worse.

Trouble is I'm torn between feeling broken hearted for her and losing my rag with her. She won't take any responsibility for any of her actions that have led to all this.

Doinmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 21:01:02

Headless your suggestion made me laugh ( in a nice way ) . If only she would do craft stuff with me! If you knew her you'd know what I mean. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now