HELP! 14 yo DS wants a razor.

(13 Posts)
Travelledtheworld Thu 20-Mar-14 10:15:59

My son, who has been sporting a moustache for a while now has asked me to buy him a razor. Any suggestions ? Model/ price/ wet or dry etc ?
I am lone parenting.

yourlittlesecret Thu 20-Mar-14 15:35:26

With DS1 when he discovered a bit of fluff I bought him a cheap rechargeable razor. It was perfectly suitable for the job.
What I didn't realise was that it is a right of passage like a girl's first bra and very important to them.
When it was his next birthday I bought him a wet razor and foam. It never occurred to me to explain how to do it, not that I know really. He appeared from the bathroom half an hour later dripping with blood grin.

DS2 is now at the stage of wanting to shave but not really needing to. I bought some good quality Gillette disposables and some shaving cream for sensitive skin. He seems happy with it.

Maryz Thu 20-Mar-14 17:47:30

Mine swear by the gillette fusion disposables. Neither wanted an electric one for a long time.

Now ds1 is older he has an electric one - I think it's a Phillips, but his requirement was that it could be used in the shower so it was quite expensive.

Your son will want what his friends have, but whatever you go for don't try cheap. Wait until you can afford a good electric one or go with more expensive disposables (and a good foam/gel) for the moment. He'll only shave once a week..

yourlittlesecret Thu 20-Mar-14 17:58:47

Yes gillette fusion that's what mine use.

2fedup Fri 21-Mar-14 06:53:20

DS had a lot of spots so we went with a more expensive Phillips model( when it was on offer) which has been pretty good and not bothered his skin too much.

Travelledtheworld Fri 21-Mar-14 20:16:43

Thanks folks. I ended up buying him a Braun travel razor which was£17.99. He went away with that quite happy and seemed to navigate it round the spots too.

I will ask my brother to give him a wet shave demo when he is next visiting.
[Smile]

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 22-Mar-14 08:15:09

Gillette Fusion disposable, the foam that goes with it and make up a shaving oil mix thus: 5 ml carrier oil, 10 drop lavender, 10 drops bergamot, 5 drop mint, 5 drops tea tree.

Hot flannel, 5 drops of the oil on to the wet face, gel, then shave with the grain. Use the single blade on the Fusion for the nostrils. When doing the point of the jaw, shave up to it, don't pull the blades over it or it will "the multitudinous seas incarnadine".

HTH.

Travelledtheworld Mon 24-Mar-14 19:18:20

Sounds lovely but I struggle to get Ds to wash his face with soap and water so doubt he would be bothered to mix it all up.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 24-Mar-14 22:51:47

It needs to be a ritual, not part of personal hygiene.

Mansplaining alert: Shaving is a large part of a man's identity. It is risky and needs concentration, it can be expensive and if done well it's a boost to well being. Miss a bit, and those bristles you didn't get can ruin your day.

Good idea to get your brother to walk him through it. As for the spots, oil shaving can help unblock the pores. The original King of Shaves had oil in it, and it was the first gel that suppressed my tendency to turn into a pizza.

Travelledtheworld Tue 25-Mar-14 05:19:21

Interesting, Disgrace.
My father, when stressed, would retreat to the bathroom and have a wet shave.

Theas18 Tue 25-Mar-14 08:21:12

We went down the electrical route- because of acne LOL It just seemed a very dangerous idea to wet shave when he had that many spots

Also stops him hogging the 1 bathroom...

Maryz Tue 25-Mar-14 13:10:43

I agree about it being a ritual. ds1 shaves when he's upset about something too - unfortunately he now has a waterproof electric shaver and does it (very slowly) in the shower, using a tank of water at a time hmm

ds2 has bad acne and reckons wet shaving is better, because the electric shaver pulls the skin and causes ingrowing hairs, which makes his spots worse. So it seems very much personal preference.

Nicole1976 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:25:36

I've often considered buying a nice razor for my 13 yr old DS , the only problem being that he doesn't have anything to shave yet, but when he does I will buy him something efficient and satisfying which does the job it needs to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now