Sex on school residential trip. Yr10.

(88 Posts)
Branch Sat 08-Mar-14 17:19:38

After lights out, two boys went to a room where 3 girls were sharing and had sex with two of the girls. The third girl left the room beforehand and went into another girls' room.

School have found out & suspended all 4 students.

EdithWeston Sat 08-Mar-14 21:59:09

Well, if the information was from a teen on the trip then yes it may well have been exaggerated. But unlikely to be completely baseless.

And yes, every step should be taken to prevent shagging on school trips, which does include a certain amount of nocturnal corridor prowling by staff. Yes, it's demanding to go with restricted sleep. But yes, staff really do that.

Lottiedoubtie Sat 08-Mar-14 21:59:53

There is a limit, yes, but there should be a member of staff on call at all times, and they generally take turns to regularly patrol the corridors

On call yes, but a 24 hour non sleeping patrol of corridors? Who would sign up for that?

Bunbaker Sat 08-Mar-14 22:04:51

"I doubt the teachers will be reprimanded, but I can see the school cancelling future mixed-sex residential trips"

At DD's school a couple of the pupils did the same on a trip to France last year, except that it was posted on FB. Some of the students were getting drunk in the hotel bar as well.

I don't know what the law is in France regarding underage drinking, but I'm surprised that the teachers allowed this to happen.

Needless to say the same trip didn't go ahead this year.

Hulababy Sat 08-Mar-14 22:12:02

There is a limit, yes, but there should be a member of staff on call at all times, and they generally take turns to regularly patrol the corridors.

I have never known teachers to keep a 24 hour vigil outside of pupils rooms on a residential. It would not be fair to expect teachers to spend part of their night awake patrolling a corridor. They still have to work the next day supervising the children in waking hours too.

There are rules on school trips. Every child will know them. They are expected to follow them or face sanctions.

If found out about on a school residential something like this would normally warrant a phone call direct to school and usually also the embrassment and punishment of being sent home - often with parents or head/deputy headteacher being called to come and collect them that day. Same rules for drinking alcohol, smoking, etc on a school trip.

And yes - sometimes future trips not taking place for the next years.

I do not think the teachers should be held responsible if this took place after hours.

Hulababy Sat 08-Mar-14 22:14:10

If I was expected to spend several hours awake in the middle of the night patrolling corridors I would simply not volunteer to go, as staff, on a school residential. They are extremely tiring as they are, let alone not getting a decent amount of sleep either. I don't think I know any teacher who would sign up for this either.

BOFtastic Sat 08-Mar-14 22:21:12

Oh, I absolutely agree- I'm just going off a couple of secondary schools' websites and their trips policies. I can't imagine it's a realistic prospect around the clock.

Hulababy Sat 08-Mar-14 22:24:31

Didn't happen on any residential I have been staff on, nor any I have known about through teacher friends. We got to go to bed an hour or so after pupil lights out time. Got up around same time too. Heck - we even may have had a glass of wine before bed too.

Luckily I'm in infants now, rather than secondary - so residentials are a thing of the past - even with sleep they are so tiring!

Sirzy Sat 08-Mar-14 22:27:44

I would imagine the member of staff on call is generally more a case of "we are in this room any problems knock" than actually being up all night patrolling corridors.

I'm a youth leader and have spent many an evening sat on a corridor with a torch watching for young people trying to escape but I have never stayed up all night patrolling corridors when all is settled we go to sleep!

Nocomet Sat 08-Mar-14 22:30:06

The very badly planned (in terms of evening activities) trip to Holland we went on never ran again.

If there is no evening entertainment all the pupils do is go into town and get drink, some of the boys got very drunk.

No harm was done, as I mentioned on another thread, we got served in the pubs at home so we weren't exactly new to this sort of thing. Everyone got back to the hotel just some people had to be put to bed.

EdithWeston Sat 08-Mar-14 22:30:31

Corridor prowling is normal for an hour or so after "lights out" or until the pupils appear quiet and settled (in the right place). You can never count on getting sleep - homesickness or actual sickness being common causes of disruption.

Branch Sat 08-Mar-14 22:35:41

Info was from my DC who was not involved but told me when I received a letter (as did all parents) from school about 'inappropriate behaviour' on the trip.

I believe what my DC has told me. I think some teens are dim enough to not use contraception.

I feel really sorry for the staff and don't hold them responsible. If my DC were one of thefour, I'd be furious

Hulababy Sat 08-Mar-14 22:38:31

Edith - an hour after lights out is fine. Been there, done that - that is pretty much expected. And being on call is fine too - again, as expected. It was the idea of being up, taking it in turns, most of the night that I would not deem acceptable.

FWIW we were never woken up after we'd retired to bed fortunately - at least a decent amount of sleep was had by all staff smile

Mandy2003 Sat 08-Mar-14 22:41:28

I remember timing the corridor prowling when I was 15 on a residential! After we were sure it was all quiet me and my intended went down to the end of the corridor, crawled under a disused pinball table and spent every night together in the mattress store!

Every single trip I've ever known run has had separate corridors for boys and girls with the teachers in the rooms at either end and in the middle. It just wouldn't have been possible.

Dh has done about 20 and he says the same.

What drew you to Mumsnet for this as your first post OP?

I notice you haven't said you've namechanged for any reason.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh!

Branch Sat 08-Mar-14 23:06:36

I have namechanged for obvious reasons! I'm sure MN would be happy to verify I am not a troll.

Not that I have to justify myself to you, LaurieFairyCake hmm

You don't. Nor did I ask you to. I asked you a straight question as you hadn't said you'd namechanged.

Most people say they've namechanged if there's something identifiable in the story.

Obviously there's nothing identifiable in your story so actually it's not obvious why one would namechange confused

Lottiedoubtie Sat 08-Mar-14 23:13:05

Not obvious why you would namechange.

Not obvious what the point of the thread is.

I'm not saying you are a troll, but could you explain what you are trying to achieve in this thread? What sort of discussion were you hoping for?

Branch Sat 08-Mar-14 23:16:17

And I gave you a straight answer. I don't see what difference it makes if people say they've namechanged, they could just be saying that. hmm

I namechanged because if parents from the school involved read this thread, they may recognise the story if their DC were on the trip and I might be identifiable from my real name posting history and I would not be happy about that.

Ok with you? hmm

Lottiedoubtie Sat 08-Mar-14 23:18:41

hmm not trying to be confrontational, can you answer my question?

Branch Sat 08-Mar-14 23:20:07

The point of the thread * Lottiedoubtie* is that your real name btw? Is that I was basically offloading my thoughts on MY thread.

Innogen Sat 08-Mar-14 23:20:42

Yeah another one here not understanding why you made this thread.

Innogen Sat 08-Mar-14 23:21:29

What did you want us to say? Be horrified, offer advice, regale stories of school trips?

OP - I can't even see where you've said your the parent, teacher or student?

Nor have you said what you think.

It's just weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now