18th Birthday present for DD ... Ideas please?

(38 Posts)
ChristmasAlreadyOver Sun 02-Mar-14 21:29:05

Budget is £500.
She is feminine but not girly.
I've asked what she would like but she could only think of Stellar pans shock

I would like to buy something she can keep but use regularly iykwim

Any suggestions?

Thanks

happydutchmummy Sun 02-Mar-14 21:35:16

Pay towards driving lessons, it's a skill that will last a lifetime.

GimmeDaBoobehz Sun 02-Mar-14 21:39:46

I second happy.

Or a nice spa weekend after exams?

ChristmasAlreadyOver Sun 02-Mar-14 21:40:27

Yes, I agree, but she really doesn't want to learn.

ChristmasAlreadyOver Sun 02-Mar-14 21:41:11

I like the spa idea, thanks, will mention that one to her.

boardingschoolbaby Sun 02-Mar-14 21:45:31

Personally I think something that someone can keep but use is always special- e.g. A lovely watch or diamond pendant. Something that won't really go in or out of fashion but is nice and classic. I still use a beautiful silver longines watch that I got for my 18th. Rotary watches are very reliable too.

Dukketeater Sun 02-Mar-14 21:46:05

My parents got me a new laptop for my 18th ?
Money towards a girly holiday?
Or just put it in an isa for her?

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 02-Mar-14 21:52:23

Yy to watch idea something she can keep

caketinrosie Sun 02-Mar-14 22:00:26

Pearl stud earrings, anything from jo Malone, a box of thorntons chocs, a book by celia aherne, a new set of pjs and a computer tablet (hudl) or similar and a bottle of prosecco to round it all off. There, £500 quid done thereabouts! I luvs buying presents grin

Only1scoop Sun 02-Mar-14 22:04:12

A watch
A bracelet
Spa break
A printed photo album with special shots in.

Only1scoop Sun 02-Mar-14 22:05:38

Caketin.... Wish you were my mumgrin

caketinrosie Sun 02-Mar-14 22:42:43

only1scoop always room for one more in the house of cake! grin

Innogen Sun 02-Mar-14 22:53:14

Holiday? Keepsake jewellery.

ajandjjmum Sun 02-Mar-14 22:57:37

We got DD a lovely necklace - pretty classical design - she doesn't wear it often, but it is a style that can be worn at any age, so hopefully will be used throughout her life. And she can always tell people that her DM and DF bought it for her 16th!

jennifersofia Sun 02-Mar-14 23:00:01

Leather jacket? Don't know if that is her thing..
Some of your jewellery made into something for her?

Lurleene Sun 02-Mar-14 23:08:52

Festival tickets or a holiday?

StabInTheDark Mon 03-Mar-14 01:29:45

Something to keep! It's such a special birthday I think it's lovely when presents are something you can treasure forever. I gave DD a silver locket for her 18th and she never takes it off.

A friend put together a huge box for her DD that included all sorts of things from her childhood- DVDs of her school plays/favourite TV shows, a scrapbook, photo album, toys, drawings she had done etc etc. There was a little book with messages from all her friends in too. Really gorgeous present, the girl was made up!

Chloerose75 Mon 03-Mar-14 01:42:58

I think it would be nice to do a combination of experience and something to keep. So for example to keep, jewellery, a nice watch or something like that, and then concert tickets, theatre, a weekend break together, spa or something.

However I can't even remember what I got for my 18th!

TheVictorian Mon 03-Mar-14 02:32:39

A selection of 50 shades of grey type items eg cuffs, whips ect from ann summers.

DrewsWife Mon 03-Mar-14 02:34:27

Mine asked for a tenor horn. So we did that. Also a party. She's hyper about both.

Boleh Mon 03-Mar-14 05:51:40

I 2nd the suggestion of a watch or other piece of jewellery - whatever she is most likely to wear. I was officially given the ring I had inherited from my grandmother some years earlier along with a pair of earrings that my parents had made especially to match it. They are a classic style and still my 'go to' special occasion jewelry and I still smile and remember getting them when I put them on.

chocoluvva Mon 03-Mar-14 07:44:31

A leather handbag/bag? (although it would be very difficult to get one she'd like unless you had a very good idea of her tastes)

Leather jacket or tailored coat?

I don't have a thing about leather grin - good quality should last a very long time.

ChristmasAlreadyOver Mon 03-Mar-14 21:59:47

Thank you. I love the idea f something special but also to be used.
I am now looking at necklaces.... Is Tiffany stuff worth the £££ or are you just'paying for the name'?

Thanks

Noggie Mon 03-Mar-14 22:10:45

A charm bracelet - pandora or equivalent? Lovely to add charms over time grin

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Mon 03-Mar-14 22:15:24

My parents got me a laptop for my 18th, and we were on holiday at the time too so we were away for it.

My favourite thing they did for me though was that my dad put together a DVD of recorded news clips, newspaper headings, radio announcements etc of big things from the year I was born, bits from the month I was born and then the day I was born. It means a lot to me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now