People always went on about teenage boys and food..... only NOW do I get it

(131 Posts)
DrNick Wed 05-Feb-14 18:16:38

in the last six months suddenly.... I am doing two Tesco orders a week. I just cannot keep up with it. Previous portion sizes look like dolls house sizes.

they never stop!

Come on, let's not fall into competitive:

my teen boy eats more than yours!

Yes they eat, all the fucking time, always! all of them!!

wink

Annunziata Wed 05-Feb-14 20:08:03

I thought I had seen the worst of it, but DS4 is awful. He is never full. And he is skinny!

MartinSheensTeeth Wed 05-Feb-14 20:11:44

Cats I'd get on a plane for your cooking, you can't blame your DS grin

WitchWay Wed 05-Feb-14 20:15:47

DS 16 next week has just eaten 8 big fat sausages with chips & most of a tin of beans. He will be looking for a pint of milk & a load of biscuits before bed. He had already had a milkshake & a cake at school before I picked him up at 6pm. I can remember my brother being just the same.

tilliebob Wed 05-Feb-14 20:15:53

I can't keep my 14 year old DS filled. And if he turns sideways you wouldn't see him, he's so thin. I have literally no idea where he's putting it. However, he's grown a ridiculous amount since starting S3 last August.

Just had this conversation with DH.

Our son s 20 and has always eaten well - now he eats non stop, it is like a switch has been thrown.

WitchWay Wed 05-Feb-14 20:17:11

What amazes me is that he will eat till he's absolutely full, even leaving half a mouthful on the plate, then half an hour or so later he's "starving" & eats a load more - how do they process it that quickly?

sydlexic Wed 05-Feb-14 20:21:34

My DS is 13 and doesn't eat very much. Always knew he was strange.

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 20:26:11

I never got this, till the first time I left supper for the Inferiorettes plus charming 17 year old male babysitter. Had made huge vat of chicken curry, enough - I thought - for several tubs to freeze.

There was a scraping left in the bottom of the (large) casserole. And I'm quite sure the skinny lad felt the need for a snack laterwink

woodrunner Wed 05-Feb-14 20:26:21

And the milk. We used to get through eight pints a week. Now it's every two days.

Really understand hunger in boys but if you have let your boys eat...

12 roast potatoes in one sitting
8 sausages in one sitting.

That's bad for their health, surely?

WitchWay Wed 05-Feb-14 20:34:17

As long as the diet is mixed & contains fruit & veg I'm pretty relaxed about it. Eight sausages wasn't ideal, granted - four were supposed to be for DH whom I'd forgotten was eaten out. It's usually more like 4 or 5 (!)

WitchWay Wed 05-Feb-14 20:35:12

Eating out - oops

Lots of fat drained out of them & wasn't eaten.

plus3 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:38:01

So how do you fill them up?
DS is just 10 and professes to be starving - roast chicken, mountains of mad and broccoli for supper then asks what else can he eat? Slice of birthday cake, then he is after cheese & biscuits. I said he could only have a drink - milk or water. Was I being a bit mean?

wigglybeezer Wed 05-Feb-14 20:41:50

The latest issue with food in our house is that ds1 is trying to put weight on for a rugby tour to canada, land of the really huge teenage boy aparently! he is excited that he has managed to put half a stone on, it's like the mirror image of teen girl weight anxieties!

IamInvisible Wed 05-Feb-14 20:53:29

sydlexic give him time!wink

plus3 mine eat a lot of cereal, especially the granola types with natural youghurt. I go to Lidl and buy buckets of yoghurt. It still only lasts a couple days.

DS2 eats lots and lots of Marmite on toast. When he comes in from school he likes Branston pickle and crisp sandwiches.

Cheese, crackers and apples is another favourite here.

When I bake half of it has gone before it gets in to the containers!hmm if we nip into Tesco for something they don't ask for sweets like they did when they were little, they ask for a sandwich!

Mine load up on pasta, eggs and fruit.

Bread is a source of love as is bacon but after reading this they're not so gluttonous after all.

WitchWay Wed 05-Feb-14 20:58:15

Yes Iam baking disappears before it's cooled down if I'm not careful!

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 20:59:08

One weekend morning you will wake up to find that your teenage son has multiplied in the night and there are others asleep in every corner

grin

IamInvisible Wed 05-Feb-14 21:02:04

YY Witch I bake 12 muffins, put them on the rack to cool. When I go to put them in the tin, there are only 7 or 8 left!

Bloody kids!grin

IsaacHuntyChops Wed 05-Feb-14 21:06:11

Yep! DS1 will eat a full roast dinner and then an hour later he will be doing himself some noodles or pasta.

Last night I did Moroccan lamb and rice, DS2 has seconds. An hour later he is rooting through the freezer as he feels like having a plate of chips.

TwoThreeFourSix Wed 05-Feb-14 21:10:35

Argh this is one if my arguments against having 3 DC.

DH eats loads (v sporty). DS is 2 and eats almost as much as I do....Im pregnant with DS2. DS isnt even chubby tho - just lots of muscle like his dad.

God knows what our food bills will be like in a few years.

This sounds terrifying shock I have a 9.5 DS

When does it start?

NK5BM3 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:18:34

I'm realizing this now... DS is nearly 6 and eats a whole grown up dinner plate of dinner every night. But he also eats a substantial meal at after school club (proper food like jackets or noodles or rice...). And pudding. On weekends he eats a chicken breast (or equivalent in other meats), a lot of roast potatoes, veg and Yorkies. And he is skinny. I'd say 50%ile on height and weight.

DrNick Wed 05-Feb-14 21:20:01

mine is getting worse at 15, 13 11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now