Miserable shopping trip

(82 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Mon 06-Jan-14 17:48:48

sad 14 year old DS. The trip was essential for school shirts and trousers because he has grown a stupid amount lately. Then on for some smart clothes for work experience.

So the shopping trip was all about him!

I have never witnessed so much eye rolling, tutting and moaning in my life. Asking 'when can we go home?' every 5 minutes,

Apparently I WBU to make him go in the changing rooms to try stuff on too.

Never ever again. angry wine

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-Jan-14 20:00:54

shock Chottie.

Chottie Sun 12-Jan-14 19:43:25

The post of hope for you all smile

My DS actually came and picked me up from work before Christmas so we could go shopping in BW together as he wanted some new clothes and wanted my opinion smile he also bought my Christmas present at the same time. He also asks my advice about recipes and Christmas presents for friends with children too.

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-Jan-14 10:40:33

shock Ooh I did well to not storm out then.

chocoluvva Sun 12-Jan-14 10:39:41

I once stormed out of a dressing room too....out of the shop and drove home leaving DD to get home herself blush

lalsy Sat 11-Jan-14 18:57:25

I once stormed out of a changing rook leaving dd (then 15) in it. She was trying on a dress for a posh do. She got stuck in the dress, couldn't undo the zip, too shy to ask the assistant for help, I was out of mobile reach.....

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Jan-14 16:25:59

shock MrsDB will you be allowed?

DS1 is doing his 100 miles away and staying at my DBs. grin

MrsDavidBowie Sat 11-Jan-14 16:24:49

Ds is doing work experience in a few weeks in John Lewis. I plan to pop in [ grin]

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Jan-14 15:15:44

DS1 has gone into (the same) town today. With his mates. angry they are going to have lunch, and look round the shops.

That's what we were supposed to be doing last Monday. sad angry

dontcallmemam Sat 11-Jan-14 14:55:32

I have so been there.
DS2 (17) works in a supermarket after school. I saw him in there last night but studiously ignored him in case I embarrassed him by breathing or looking at eggs inappropriately
He actually came up to me and said "Hello Mum''.
I could've cried with gratitude...I'm seeing a light at the end of that very dark tunnel.

hamptoncourt Sat 11-Jan-14 14:50:51

Does anyone else suffer the "walking 20 paces in front of you" phenomenon?
It drives me bonkers. I look ubernormal. I don't walk around the shopping centre singing or dancing, well not when I am with DC anyway.

Why can't DD 16 just walk with me? Our shopping trips always end in tears and/or sulks but if I just give her money she buys shit she never wears again or that is so short her arse is hanging out so I feel resentful.

I guess maybe when they are older it is actually their money they are spending so maybe that is part of the reason it is less stressful? I am just so desperate for DD to grow the fuck out of it. Been three years already. Three years of being told daily how crap I am sad

Snog Sat 11-Jan-14 10:58:50

"Never Again" is an extremely sensible conclusion that you should stick to!

I could have written this about my dd (14) a while back. It's the trying on that is the worst bit although even the looking seems to be a trial. She is fine when we aren't shopping for clothes for her though!

My solution is as others have suggested try mail order and if not give her the money and get her to buy the stuff on her own. This means she either can't be arsed to get anything (her look out), or buys and wears some stuff that is quite unflattering imo but I just have to shut up and hope she gets better at choosing stuff that suits her rather than just stuff she likes! It's a learning curve for all of us after all. I would prefer it myself if lovely clothes that fit me just appeared in my wardrobe whenever I wanted them without needing to go shopping for them!

MrsDavidBowie Sat 11-Jan-14 10:41:56

Ds 14 is great to go shopping with. We too have to go for a work experience rig out, so are planning to go late night shopping next week. Mind you, he knows we'll have a coffee/something to eat so that helps.

Dd 17 is awful. I have had many hissing moments in changing rooms with her, and gone home without her. I now order online for her.

notnowbernard Fri 10-Jan-14 18:55:32

Funny/sad thread

Have you lot read Zagazoo by Quentin Blake?

It's soooooo spot on!

<dreading teenage yrs>

Sparklingbrook Fri 10-Jan-14 18:47:19

Two years? grin Blimey.

Graceparkhill Thu 09-Jan-14 20:53:09

This is my favourite thread ever. DS aged 14 has not been near a shop for two years. I buy uniform at the school suppliers and they kindly exchange it for me if it doesn't fit.

I buy shoes online and if I find any casual clothes he will actually wear I will by the next size up as well.

He has no interest in clothes or shopping and until recently was wearing school shoes 2 sizes too small without a word of complaint.

When I think of all the expensive and carefully fitted shoes he wore when younger I wonder why I bothered!

ishouldcocoa Thu 09-Jan-14 20:42:47

I remember seeing a mug with the words...

TEENAGERS!
Tired of being harassed by your parents?

ACT NOW!!

Move out. Get a job.
Pay your bills while you still know everything.

Not entirely applicable to most of our DC's - (or DTs??), but it makes me smile...

chocoluvva Thu 09-Jan-14 20:30:45

9 years shock and [despair]

My 17YO has just offended me by claiming that she's much more educated than me, more logical and knows more important things. Thanks a bunch DD angry and shock

lastone Thu 09-Jan-14 18:40:12

This is all so familiar. My eldest was a nightmare, in fact we keep a photo of her on the fridge, at her worst, about 16 and on a day out, looking super sullen and horrid. But, like TalcAndTurnips says, they do come out of it. At christmas, now 25, she turned and said to me 'do you know, everything you ever said to me turned out to be right'. And I didnt even say I told you so, just smiled sweetly and thought 'finally'.... only took 9 years!

ishouldcocoa Thu 09-Jan-14 18:29:11

My DS (15) is a PITA to get to go shopping, but we have settled on the following:

1. TK Maxx to get everything. If its not in TK Maxx, then it doesn't get purchased. End of.

2. Lunch after where he chooses. It was Yo Sushi last time. Lucky they had a deal on as DS munched his way through 11 plates. shock

3. Home.

lalsy Thu 09-Jan-14 18:20:45

OP, there is hope, I used to have terrible shopping trips with dd, often involving storming out/tears. She now often goes with friends or on her own (she is 17), but on Monday we went together, and she reached out, took my hand, and said I do like clothes shopping with you Mum. I resisted the temptation to offer her anything in H and M smile.

My 14yo ds can only abide shopping trips of under five mins. I avoid at all costs.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-Jan-14 18:15:13

My two just go clothes shopping with their mates and come back with what they want. Saves on a lot of wasted time and money from my PoV - they tend to be careful with what they spend when it is their pocket/Christmas etc moneywink

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Jan-14 18:09:06

I think DS would go into town with the thought of getting the stuff but end up having a Subway and gawping in GAME for two hours, before coming home.

MissScatterbrain Thu 09-Jan-14 18:05:27

I don't think it would work for my DS either - he once went to town with friends and bought a t-shirt that was too small. Guess who had to take it back to change it hmm

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Jan-14 17:53:07

YY it's unfair Shes. To me! grin

Cerisier that is brilliant, she sounds great. I am wondering if that would work with DS, but I don't think he would apply himself. sad

Cerisier Thu 09-Jan-14 15:26:08

DD15 and I have a system where she goes into town and tries things on with a friend. Then I am allowed to go next day with her to pay for the items. Recently I have just sent her with cash and have told her and friend what to get. They took the responsibility seriously and did a good job. It saved me having to go at all, which was nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now