Miserable shopping trip

(82 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Mon 06-Jan-14 17:48:48

sad 14 year old DS. The trip was essential for school shirts and trousers because he has grown a stupid amount lately. Then on for some smart clothes for work experience.

So the shopping trip was all about him!

I have never witnessed so much eye rolling, tutting and moaning in my life. Asking 'when can we go home?' every 5 minutes,

Apparently I WBU to make him go in the changing rooms to try stuff on too.

Never ever again. angry wine

Sparklingbrook Mon 06-Jan-14 19:12:52

It is horrible. I love him so much, he was a little bit cuddly at Christmas but we are back to cold shoulder again now. sad

DS2 (my baby) is 12 this week. I will squeeze him tight on his Birthday. grin

bigTillyMint Mon 06-Jan-14 19:14:04

Katieflowers - good taste!

DeathByTray Mon 06-Jan-14 19:14:10

When mine were that age, I used to threaten them with a bit of cushion/curtain shopping if they didn't put their face straight. Apparently that was akin to Hell on Earth.

I'm also happy to report that they do indeed get over it and they will now even hug me in public.

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 06-Jan-14 19:16:40

I have the same taste I always had. It's simple, nothing for school that makes you look like an off duty hooker.

SilverApples Mon 06-Jan-14 19:18:08

Talc speaks much sense. grin
But although you said the trip was all about him, it really wasn't. It was about boring clothes for school and work. Like when you have a day off, but it's to sort out the kitchen fitters.
I find small intensive bursts, with food and mooching in more interesting shops helps the pain. I don't tolerate rudeness, silence is better.
Mine tend to bow to the inevitable and it's over far more quickly.

Sparklingbrook Mon 06-Jan-14 19:18:15

I wanted to pop into Tesco on the way home. I didn't because I was too scared. blush

My youngest, who will enter her third decade this year, even borrows (without asking, of course) my clothes, jewellery and accessories.

I saw a selfie posted by her on Twatter, in some nightclub establishment wearing my silk top from fecking East. She thinks I don't know.

SilverApples Mon 06-Jan-14 19:20:39

Mine are both very huggy and cuddlesome, leaving school made a difference I thnk.

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 06-Jan-14 19:20:49

First up, best dressed round here too Talc. Even my naice bras hmm

woodrunner Mon 06-Jan-14 19:23:13

Sparkling, I read them the riot act if they behave badly when something is all about them. I'd have taken him home straight away and made him go to school in ankle swingers with popping buttons and pinching shoes. Then say you'll buy him new clothes when he can behave.

Tbh, even on school uniform shopping trips I always say - there's the Apple store/Game/HMV. I'll meet you there in 40 mins and take a breather from them at some point so it doesn't get too challenging.

Katie - not the bras! shock

Luckily my daughter is fuller of norque than my sad old Spaniel's Ears - otherwise I'd have an empty lingerie drawer too.

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-14 19:25:44

Oh this sounds very familiar. In my head shopping trips with DD are lovely girly occasions, where we laugh and joke, and try on things, and spray perfume, and admire each other in our new clothes, and link arms, and go for coffee and cakes. <disclaimer: I don't know why I think that>

In reality, we bicker and fight, she rolls her eyes at everything I suggest, decides that she hates shopping around 23 minutes into the trip, moans that everyone walks too slowly, she huffs and puffs at how boring it is buying stuff for her hmm, and we go home not speaking.

Technoprobe Mon 06-Jan-14 19:26:47

Sparkling are you me? I daren't do Tesco with mine either sad wo-man up Techno

Sparklingbrook Mon 06-Jan-14 19:29:09

I think I must be Techno. I was thinking if I nip in, leave grumpy in the car and use the scan and shop I could be ten minutes tops.

But I couldn't even bring myself to ask him if that would be acceptable. blush

I had a lovely shopping trip with dd today. She's 10. I really hoped it would be a way to stay connected as she got older, unlike with ds1. Seems I'm sadly mistaken listening to you lot.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 06-Jan-14 19:35:52

Oh spaarkling and talc - you're making me sad

My little DS is only 13 months and thinks I'm the best thing ever. He also wears whatever I want. When will this all change?!

SilverApples Mon 06-Jan-14 19:36:03

Oh Sparkling. sad
I'd have gone to the supermarket, and if he'd grumbled, I'd have pointed out that he likes eating, and that meant stuff needed buying.
That would have made sense to his Aspie logic.

Fairylea Mon 06-Jan-14 19:36:24

Oh gosh yes I feel your pain.

Dd is 11 so much younger but is definitely entering teenager type years.

We went shopping today because she NEEDS some school shoes and she needs to try them on in a shop because she is between sizes etc etc.

I told her before we went that I also wanted to look in one shop for me because I literally have NO jeans that fit properly and it's a rare thing that dh has a day off to look after ds 18 months so I could have a browse.. I also said I would treat us to a McDonald's which she normally loves so we could have a bit of a girly day out.

We came home with no shoes as apparently they were all horrible and she will manage with what she has! And lunch was near silent here too. And in the one shop I wanted to browse in she made such a bored huff and puff that I barely enjoyed looking at anything.

Feel sad really. I really wanted it to be fun. Seems I am uncool.

Gobbolino - you have roughly twelve years, four months and sixteen days.

The clothes thing may come a little earlier - but at least the channels of communication will still be open at this stage.

Total shutdown/face of surly thunder/grunting comes around the same time as the first surge of hormonal ouput from the pituitary.

That bastard gland has a lot to answer for. angry

Chlorinella Mon 06-Jan-14 19:50:24

This is normal

DS would only be seen with me at the till while I was buying him something .

DD is better , but only if we're not in our nearest town .

Hates going into old ladies shops < East ! > though .

We can have a girly lunch out , as long as we're a long way from home .

She refused to come school shoe shopping , so I chose her some Naice black pumps from Clarks , and that's what she wears they've already lasted 3 times as long as the papery things she wanted from New Look

Claybury Mon 06-Jan-14 20:15:19

Talc thank you for making me laugh and see that it's not just me - DS is 16 and he's getting worse not better. How much longer ?! It must be so horrible for them to maintain this level of scorn and nastiness. DH and I have had enough of the surly ungrateful teen stuff. It's particularly hard to spot him from afar looking positively jovial with mates - totally different body language from around me.

Sparkling- no he did not sit with me on the bus. He got on the stop after me and totally blanked me. Imagine doing that to the person who has met your every need for almost all your life.

BeadyBagsaTella Mon 06-Jan-14 20:24:17

DSs won't go shopping with me for their clothes, but are happy to enter a supermarket with me.

I think it reflects their priorities at the moment - food definitely rates higher than style!

saintmerryweather Mon 06-Jan-14 22:01:21

Thats shocking from your ds claybury. Id have sat next to him

Travelledtheworld Tue 07-Jan-14 09:49:37

My son 14 refuses to go clothes shopping at all and as a consequence only has school uniform and pyjamas. He doesn't go out very much.

He is totally not interested in clothes.

He is also very tall, into Men's medium sized clothes. In desperation I rush to M&S, BHS or top shop, buy several pairs of trousers, take them home for him to try on and return the ones that don't fit.

Otherwise the local Sainsburys does good value jeans and casual menswear.

Hopefully they will grow out of this weird attitude when they get interested in girls. But I know very few adult men who enjoy clothes shopping.....

Sparklingbrook Tue 07-Jan-14 10:44:26

It's so annoying. He was the one moaning his school stuff was too small. he needed to try it on.

Anyway this morning it was all stress because his shirt hangs lower than his blazer.

'Tuck it in' I say.
DS1- hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now