snap chat

(11 Posts)
Gymbob Wed 01-Jan-14 17:03:17

whilst on my daughter's phone to see what she's been up to , I found she has joined snapchat.

after looking into it I see that anything posted disappears in 10 seconds or less. am I being too cynical to think that you would only want to post filthy things you want to disappear quickly?

can anyone tell me anything positive about it before I ban it? I don't see the point!

thanks smile

Claybury Wed 01-Jan-14 17:40:42

I wouldn't ban it. My DD15 uses it for fun communication. We have told her about sexting but she has no interest in that ! If someone sends her something filthy she can block them and she would tell all her friends to ridicule them but she says it hasn't happened .

Also advise your DD that she must NEVER send anything that she isn't prepared to be spread around ( as with texting ) There are ways of capturing images so it would be naive to think it really is only 10 seconds.

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 01-Jan-14 17:45:51

My DDs and I all have snapchat. It can be very amusing. DD1 is away at university and sends us hilarious snapchats of odd things she comes across.
I do agree that it could be used for very dodgy reasons but it can be a very fun app.
It is possible to set photographs to be available for only a couple if seconds which makes it more difficult to screenshot. She will also know if someone screenshots a picture but yes, best to never send anything that could be embarassing.

Xfirefly Wed 01-Jan-14 17:49:30

i have snapchat, so does DP and all our friends (we're late 20s) and we always send joke pics , pics of our children etc never had any rude pictures. most of the ones I receive are ones of peoples food hmm

I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you have a chat with her about keeping herself safe

UsedToBeNDP Wed 01-Jan-14 17:53:52

I use snapchat, as do our children. Older ones might use it for filth purposes (DS1 probably does but he's 21 and that's his business), but ours is strictly personal with all privacy settings on max and only a strictly edited list of friends on it. We just use it as a free way of sending picture texts to each other and not clogging up phone memory with silly pictures of DD pulling a face, or DH's nice view from his hotel room etc.

lilyaldrin Wed 01-Jan-14 17:56:00

Make sure she knows never to send naked photos of herself in the belief that they can't be saved.

booksteensandmagazines Wed 01-Jan-14 18:15:53

We had a talk from someone at the boys school and were warned that there are now apps that enable snapchat photos to be saved even if you set a time limit on them - so it's important they realise that whatever photo they send they have to be happy for it to be 'out there'.

Rosencrantz Wed 01-Jan-14 19:01:32

I love snapchat.

It's not about the app itself, it's about who she is contacting. The types of people who may encourage her to send that sort of thing.

If she want to send naked photos, she'll send them, regardless of app.

In my experience, unless she's flirting with or dating someone likely to ask for sexy pictures, she'll just be sending photos of pets to her mates.

It's your job to make sure she knows not to take photos of herself like that, not snapchat's.

Nagoo Wed 01-Jan-14 19:04:09

I use it, it's fun, I don't get any cock photos or anything, just little fun photos from my friends, use it like texting really.

Gymbob Wed 01-Jan-14 21:11:02

Thanks. for now I've agreed that she can use it only for between her friend that asked her to get it.

And thanks Rosencrantz, she knows full well she's not allowed to take any dodgy photo's, but if she thinks she can get away with it then who knows. If I find out she will lose the lot and she knows i.t

I hate all this social media stuff. when I was a teenager the most exciting thing I did was listen to radio Luxembourg at night when I was supposed to be sleeping.

chocoluvva Thu 02-Jan-14 21:30:38

DD who's 17 and her friends use it. They enjoy sending silly selfies usually involving pulling ridiculous faces/close up of their eyes/ears etc or as a way of saying 'Oh no' as a reaction to something they don't like/want to do etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now