Missing forks: what could DS be up to?

(38 Posts)
EloiseintheSun Wed 25-Dec-13 01:48:44

This is the third time it's happened. DS back from Uni and, eventually, forks go missing. He sees a rather itinerant friend when he's here - but it would be bizarre if he was giving this friend our cutlery.

Odd though this must sound, does anyone know of any possible reason why DS could be pinching forks. He used to take weed and maybe harder stuff and we were hoping against hope that this had all stopped. (He has a gf now who we think wouldn't tolerate it and he seems to be doing well at Uni.) Could there be some connection - drugs/forks? I know spoons are sometimes used but forks? He goes into the garden very late at night and now my mind is racing. Is he using them to dig up the ground and hide his contraband?

I haven't touched the Christmas wine yet! This is a sane question and apart from it being very irritating that the cutlery drawer gets depleted like this, I am worried about DS and what he may be up to. Have of course asked him and he simply laughs, denying any knowledge.

I'd like to think that I've simply mislaid these forks - but I haven't. Thanks for any thoughts.

flow4 Thu 26-Dec-13 18:41:49

My DS1 does the same. When we moved house (so I was packing cutlery!) we had 22 spoons and 7 forks. I bought a new set - 4 of everything - and we now have so many spoons they won't fit in the drawer and 8 forks - so 3 more have vanished!

My money is on the noodle/bin theory... When Clay planted the idea of using them as improvised grinders, it set me wondering, but DS just laughed when I asked!

Is it possible that he's just going out into the garden late at night to smoke? That's what my DS does...

Claybury Thu 26-Dec-13 19:03:54

Eloise. It doesn't sound like it's anything to worry about ( drug wise) , just annoying for you . Though why he won't admit what it is makes it a little mysterious.

I would buy a bag of plastic forks and leave in drawer.

Patilla Thu 26-Dec-13 19:08:50

Buy really flimsy cheap plastic forks so they can't be used for much other than eating noodles.

Wibble1999 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:54:38

A. Forks go in bin. B he knows it winds you up and is taking them.
I suspect smoking in garden at night.

EloiseintheSun Thu 26-Dec-13 22:45:05

Thanks all for the many, varied and helpful replies. I hope it's snacks - though there's little evidence of them in his room (as you say, though, there are such things as bins ...) and nothing at all to do with drugs. Yes, I guess he's smoking in the garden at night. Hoped he'd stopped but smelling it on clothes or so I think.

Plastic forks - yes, great idea. Thanks!

Frozennortherner Fri 27-Dec-13 12:11:08

I've never crushed drugs but why can't the handle of a fork be used like the back of a spoon to grind things down? Missing Spoons may be too obvious, he might have thought. Forks=safer bet?

lottie82 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:59:51

I wouldn't worry about it. when I lived in a student flat the forks used to vanish all the time and there was no real reason!

lottie82 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:02:01

and I don't think forks could be used in absence of a weed grinder. you don't just "crush" weed, you need to shred it. a pair of scissors would be a lot more obvious and ten times more effective than a fork or two!

can you tell I was a bit wild when I was younger?! :D

Having had a son who smoked weed for a while (now stopped thankfully ) I can guarantee it won't be ground down with a fork! Most weed smokers have a little grinder like a pencil sharpener or use scissors. It would be hard work to crind what is basically shredded leaves with a fork!

On the other hand, said DS1 disposed of virtually every fork we owned.. Pot Noodles again. He'd skate in (literally) boile a kettle, grab a potnoodle, couple of slices of bread and a fork and skate off. Never saw the forks again. I actually bought plastic forks for a while....

He's nearly 21 now and still consuming large numbers of the vile things!!

youbethemummylion Wed 15-Jan-14 20:46:50

Our office forks always disappear as well so not just teenagers, dont know where they go though

thornrose Wed 15-Jan-14 20:50:31

I have extensive knowledge of a wide range of drugs and none of them require use of a fork grin

stillenacht Wed 15-Jan-14 20:52:00

I use forks to take lids off my elite cigarettes and put different flavoured liquids in them... Is this a possibility?

MrsBright Thu 16-Jan-14 22:56:50

Plastic forks.

We kept loosing home forks from their inclusion in lunchboxes and from 'bin dumping'. Bright orange plastic forks are now the only things used in plastic pots, along with all home microwaved stuff or noodle pots etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now