please explain why my teens do this and add your own drive you crazy moments...

(121 Posts)
FunInTheSunD Mon 25-Nov-13 19:31:04

My DS 15 drives my crazy because he walks about in just his boxers and moans he's cold...
I put their tea in front of them and DD 17 says... is it hot???
They both ask whats for tea... (its actually written on a white board in the kitchen) I tell them... then they ask me again at least twice before I start to cook it....

And I buy food on a Saturday and if I don't hide some of it they eat it all by Sunday night... does anyone else have to hide food from their teen

Please tell me what your teen does that drives you crazy and we'll see if we can analyse their behaviour between us...

Sparklingbrook Wed 27-Nov-13 17:17:14

No hair here Frigide, but DS is at the elastic band stage with his braces. The teeny tiny bands are everywhere, in the sink, on the dining table, there are probably some in the dishwasher filter actually. angry

Fabsmum Wed 27-Nov-13 17:57:18

Dd leaves her coat on a chair/floor and her shoes in the middle of the hallway. If I see them there I hang coat up and put shoes on shoe rack. Because I have done this it means I am fully responsible for her being late for school on each and every day that she can't find her shoes/coat. Given that most days they are in random places (where she's left them) and she only starts looking for them when she is already 10 minutes late leaving the house this drives me utterly insane.

clam Wed 27-Nov-13 18:15:12

Dd wears a skirt once, then puts in in the laundry basket. Ditto her towels. HER towels, not even shared.
These things have disappeared from my dressing table in the couple of days alone - hairbrush, nail polish remover, eye-makeup remover, cotton wool balls, cotton buds, eyeliner pencil.
I have NO tights left, nor girlie socks. I have to steal in turn from dh's drawer.
I have discovered that the only failsafe way to get ds to do any of his chores within a reasonable time-frame is to ask him an hour before he wants a lift somewhere.

octopusinastringbag Wed 27-Nov-13 18:40:54

clam I think that is preferable to the bedroom carpet being completely obscured by them....or is that just my teenager?

clam Wed 27-Nov-13 18:55:00

Oh don't worry, we have that too!

clam Wed 27-Nov-13 18:55:43

I truly believe that teenagers are God's payback for being pfb in previous years.

IamInvisible Wed 27-Nov-13 19:04:15

We have 2 shoe racks and one of those wall mounted Ikea shoe cupboard things in the hall, so why do I nearly break my neck tripping over umpteen pairs of trainers that are on the floor right next to the bloody things?

DS2 never, ever takes his school bag upstairs at night, then shouts that someone must have moved it in the morning!hmm

We have the boxers and dressing gown combo here too.

AllDirections Wed 27-Nov-13 19:15:18

I think I've found my quiche grin

AllDirections Wed 27-Nov-13 19:15:48

I feel so at home here

littleblackno Wed 27-Nov-13 19:26:21

I don't have teenagers yet but i'm already hiding food!

AllDirections Thu 28-Nov-13 06:57:48

little grin

FuckyNell Thu 28-Nov-13 07:13:26

There is a bin right next to my ds bed. I even took the lid off to make it easier to put stuff in it one handed. My god there is still crap on the bed side table. Unfuckingbelievable.

Sparklingbrook Thu 28-Nov-13 07:21:57

Ugh. Just been to wake DS1 up. He has done that horrible thing of taking pants and trousers of in one move. i am not peeling those pants from the trousers. sad

octopusinastringbag Thu 28-Nov-13 07:25:05

Ugh. Thanks Sparkling, that'll teach me to be on Mumsnet whilst eating my porridge.
My DS has informed me that I might see him die. Lovely start to the morning.

DS1:

Suddenly changed from never putting anything in the dirty laundry basket to putting entire outfit (t-shirt, jeans, hoody) in the laundry basket after wearing it for two or three hours after school. This is on top of the sailing clothes and rugby kit I'm washing for him.

If I remind him to take or do something then I'm nagging. If I don't remind him, then it's my fault he forgot it.

He only wears actual clothes to school, rugby, youth club or Scouts. He doesn't have a dressing gown but will mooch around the house in a combination of boxers, underarmour and ski socks. Unless I ask him to pop to the local shop (same road) or he's doing Minecraft on Skype, in which case he'll take half an hour to get ready, wear a clean outfit for an hour, then put it in the dirty laundry basket.

When he comes in from Scouts or youth club after the little ones' bedtime, he'll crash and bang and generally cause cacophony.

But if anyone makes the slightest noise before 10am on a weekend morning, he'll completely lose it.

Sparklingbrook Thu 28-Nov-13 07:42:41

What's he on about octopus? sad

DS2 is on his laptop checking if he has any MyMaths due in today. Teen in training I think. hmm

DS2 is on sofa-glued to his I pad. We leave in 8 minutes. I am more ready than he is. angry

impty Thu 28-Nov-13 07:58:43

Tights, I sew name labels in, ones without labels are mine. Works in theory, not in practice.
Clothes they now have to iron their own, what little they do iron still gets dumped on the floor, and eventually in the laundry basket clean.
Run out of mugs, glasses, plates? They'll be festering under beds.
Yy to food disappearing instantly.

This morning dd2 was asking who had 'stolen' one of her shoes. It's a relief to get them out the house most mornings!

On the other hand in a couple of years dd1 could well have left for Uni. I go from being sad about this to being relieved daily! grin

My ds1 is currently 10 minutes late leaving for school and is walking around the house wearing the skin tight under layers he wears for football because there's a school match at 10am. He needs to go to school in his kit.

Can he find his kit? No.
Did he look for it last night? No
Did he know about this match 2 whole weeks ago? Yes
Am I helping him? No. I am leaving for work in 3 minutes.

This, apparently is my fault. I am not sure how, I have not asked. I am just minding my own business and ignoring the stomping and hollering.

He is also going through a phase of putting entire outfits into the washing basket after he has worn them for an hour.

What is that all about? You put hoodies, tshirt and jeans into wash after 5 minutes but have a weeks worth of socks on your floor??

Oh he has found his kit. It was in his sports drawer all along.
I must have hidden it on purpose apparently.

Does he think I have nothing better to do than hide his kit?

And, actually if I was going to hide it, I would have picked a better place than the drawer in his bedroom where all the sports kit goes

MissScatterbrain Thu 28-Nov-13 08:45:10

Night time snacks which involves using two saucepans, a colander, grater, several spoons and making a huge mess in the kitchen that I had left spotless and tidy after cooking dinner.

YY to pants in trousers/leggings/tights - urgh!!

lovetoski Thu 28-Nov-13 08:52:18

Putting clothing in the laundry after wearing for an hour or so is easier than putting away, folding up to wear again. I have trained mine re bathroom, towels neat on rail, bathroom should look like it was to begin with but this has taken many months to master. Now working on put your plate in the dishwasher rather than on top this is still work in progress !

MrsBright Thu 28-Nov-13 09:22:53

One of those glorious 'Its your fault' moments this morning.

Big 'cooking day' at school - Masterchef type competition the kids take very seriously. She chose the menu, I packed the bag of ingredients this morning 'cos I'm nice. 'You've made it way too heavy Mum. I'll wreck my arms carrying that to school and then I wont win because of you. I hope that makes you happy.' Stomp, stomp.

Thingymajigs Thu 28-Nov-13 09:33:38

Ds1 (13) wears his favourite coat that his friend gave to him around the house all day every day. It smells disgusting by the end of the week.
We have a lock on one of our kitchen cupboards where we keep crisps, biscuits and chocolates. We keep a bowl of fruit underneath it which we point to when either of them are moaning about being hungry.
Simultaneously moaning that he is bored but at the same time refusing to do anything.
Manages to lose pretty much anything that is ever given to him apart from that coat and a messenger bag that is always empty because, well, he's lost everything in it.
On the bright side he is clever, caring, funny, always does his chores and is very tall and handy so he can reach things for me and fix my PC/TV/wonky shelf.

ithaka Thu 28-Nov-13 09:39:51

MrsBright that sounds like classic teenager. If they were men, we would be told to LTB.

Sparklingbrook Thu 28-Nov-13 10:13:56

I have dug the sandwich toaster out. DS1 now makes toasties instead of raiding the crisp/choc cupboard. He has a pre-dinner dinner of a baked bean toastie. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now