DD(14) is asking for too much make up for Christmas?!

(51 Posts)
suejohnson1234 Sun 17-Nov-13 08:00:13

She's asking for:
The three 1D lip polishes she doesn't have
Their range of nail varnishes
Two of their blushers
Beauty UK Nail Gift Set Wild Child 1
Colour Unlimited Beauty Tools
Colour Unlimited On the Go Eye Palette
Cosmopolitan Maximum Effect Lash Curler
Flutter Cosmetic Bag Set
Flutter Cosmetics Brushes
Flutter Double Sided Compact Mirror
Garnier 7 Days Daily Hand Cream Honey 100ml
Garnier Intensive 7 Days Body Lotion Cocoa Butter 400ml
Kleenex Facial Cleansing Wipes x 24
Look Cheeky Trio Strawberry Bon Bon
Look Double Hit Lip Duo Rose Riot
Look Mini Make Over Palette Pretty Green Eyes
Lynx Attract For Her Duo
MUA Bronzer Shade 1
MUA Eyeshadow Palette Undressed
MUA Nail Quake Nail Polish Shattered Ice
Maybelline Baby Lips Balm Cherry Me
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream Universal Glow
NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Powder Translucent 701
One Direction Complete Collection
One Direction Sunkissed Bronzer
Pretty Quik Nail Drying Spray
Rimmel Eye Primer Exaggerate Undercover
Simple Chic
Simple Kind to Skin Vitamin Foaming Cleanser 150ml
Simple Little Treats
Sleek Concealer Luminaire Shade 1
Sleek Palette I-Divine
Sweet Snuggles Bathing Tub
Sweet Snuggles Blanket
Sweet Snuggles Chocolate Vanilla Hand Cream 60ml
Sweet Snuggles Cosy for Toasty Toes Socks

I know not all of it is make up, and most of it is eye shadow, but I'm worried about her self esteem if she feels she needs it all, which she has said she feels she does. I know that msot of it is also natural, but I'm extremely worried hmm that she thinks she needs all this when she's gorgeous anyway.
Her 'excuse' for asking for this is that DS (13) needs ski stuff for Christmas and is also getting an ipod and she can't think of what else she wants but we have already told her the limit is £300 per wishlist.
What do I do? Buy it for her but tell her she has to keep herself natural for school and can only wear a stupid amount more makeup for parties and Halloween and what not?

louby44 Sun 17-Nov-13 11:59:49

I would say DS ski stuff money is separate and not connected to Christmas. DD will certainly need £300 for the future - school trips etc.

Then just spend £100-£150 on each of them for Christmas.

We have 4 kids and we spend £150 on each of them. It's getting harder as they want more expensive things but we stick to it religiously. We save all year and can't afford anymore.

lljkk Sun 17-Nov-13 12:20:52

Would your DD like a makeover, OP? At a good beautician where they give advice, with a spending budget afterwards? Plus maybe a snazzy haircut (DD has never had one of them, she would swoon at the experience!!). I wonder if that could reduce the makeup pile, somewhat. Who even has room to store all that stuff & her tastes will change hugely before she can use it mostly or all up.

My contribution to birthdays & Christmas is rather lower than yours; my older boy would have to contribute money from somewhere else, even earn it from us by doing jobs. We tend not to do sports equipment as Gifts, either; we buy it, it's ours and we get to pass it down to next kid or flog on Ebay when I see fit.

lljkk Sun 17-Nov-13 12:21:17

manicure, pedicure.... Pedicure voucher good until summer when toes on show?

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 17-Nov-13 12:26:01

Make up has a shelf life of 12 months doesn't it? That's a lot to get through in 12 months with restricted application.

I'd be tempted to take her into a dept store and have a MAC/Bobby Brown/Clinique type makeover and buy the items they recommend - with brushes, make up case, cleansers etc.

shock grin
That list!
Oh am I glad I have boys.
Still she can't wear it all at once or maybe she could having seen some orange faced friends of DS2.

suejohnson1234 Sun 17-Nov-13 14:32:57

Have to admit looking at the list

suejohnson1234 Sun 17-Nov-13 14:34:34

and quality may just get her it, none really has a shelf life, lots is not make up and tbqh we've always spent that much and the ski stuff is in christmas presents as DS wants it instead of buying it from school, so might just say go for it and don't look too slutty put too much on and you'll be fine, most of it is eye shadow and she won't put too much on and she'll be fine grin

Eastpoint Sun 17-Nov-13 19:11:41

Congratulations on your new baby

How to tell DC I'm pregnant

I don't get this - You are allowed to say no. Just buy her a couple of things. How about getting her a couple of 'nice' bits eg from Benefit, Mac or Urban Decay, instead of piles and piles of Superdrug stuff?

3littlefrogs Sun 17-Nov-13 19:21:53

The best thing I ever bought my dd (aged 14) was a make up lesson and colour analysis. She is now 15 and buys flattering clothes and make up and always looks nice.

Money well spent.

Rosencrantz Sun 17-Nov-13 19:23:59

Supertroll is on a roll today.

suejohnson1234 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:29:20

Rose how is this a troll question? Asking about my DD's Christmas list? Because it's a bit of money? more than most people may spend, but we can afford it?

We could afford it too, but I still wouldn't spend it.

Make up lesson is a v good idea, Frogs. Who did you do it with?

Rosencrantz Sun 17-Nov-13 20:33:59

Haven't you just had a baby hours ago? stop worrying about Christmas! and look after the baby you didn't know existed at 2pm!

thornrose Sun 17-Nov-13 20:38:39

One Direction do a make-up range?

optimusic Sun 17-Nov-13 20:51:12

Her school allows make up? All the secondary schools i know of have a strict no make up policy and stand at the gate ready to direct the rule breakers to the toilets..

She must have other interests than make up.. Itunes vouchers. Clothes. Cinema pass. Concert

sadsometimes Mon 18-Nov-13 15:24:34

I am presuming this is a wind up? If not it's very sad that make up is all your dd wants. And even sadder that you can't think of anything else. If my 13 year old asked for all that I would say no way. What a waste of money!

assumpta Tue 19-Nov-13 19:54:12

Look; in this day and age be grateful that she wants make up, not an iPhone, iPad, laptop etc, etc. take her and a friend for a day to MAC or Benefit etc, get her make up done, send her off to shop with her friend and buy her presents without her seeing exactly what you buy with a couple of recommended extras. Just enjoy your day with her.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 19-Nov-13 19:57:48

14yo doesn't need high quality make up! Brands she's asking for sounds fine, I'd get here about 1/3 of that.

TessCackle Tue 19-Nov-13 19:59:56

SuperDrug have 3for2 at the moment if that helps. It sounds a lot written like that but if it's all she wants and she wants to experiment with a full "kit" I think it's a good set of presents.

I wouldn't recommend mac, it's extortionate for what it is not very good IMO and so expensive to replace constantly. Let her find her makeup feet with cheaper stuff and progress naturally.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 19-Nov-13 21:39:35

Yes Thom. It's by MUA in superdrug. (sadly the colours are quite nice, but tainted by association for my dd)

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 19-Nov-13 21:41:20

Oh and dd had a treasured Mac lipstick. Some little angry nicked it. 13 quid down the drain.

FreddieStarrAteMyHamster Tue 19-Nov-13 21:45:31

That list is hilarious!!
I would gently steer her towards some decent stuff for that budget. Benefit do very nice makeup and skin care with attractive packaging for young 'uns.

SaidFlorence Tue 19-Nov-13 22:24:33

Looks like my dds christmas list except she has the little mix range of make up on there too.
I'd just get it if that's what she wants. That's not £300 worth though eh? Id guess at £60ish. I would have loved that as a teen.

macmonkey Thu 05-Dec-13 12:31:07

I worry about my 13yo being make-up obsessed, and whilst I do give in sometimes, I wouldn't contemplate spending that kind of dosh on it. Buy her some, yeah, but then make up the money with a Top Shop voucher - with a personal shopper certificate for free. When you make the appointment, you tell them what sort of things she likes, and they fill the whole wall with outfits and stuff for her to try. Full VIP treatment in the special changing room, the works. Gotta be better than 300 quids worth of slap, no?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now