Festivals and teens & drugs

(6 Posts)
Orangedays Sat 02-Nov-13 19:35:33

Planning Ahead I know just need some opinions
My ds15 is wanting to go to Reading festival next summer with mates. He has been been to a smaller festival before , I subsequently found out he and a mate had taken speed and ecstasy at this one. Age 15. AIBU to say a blanket no to all Festivals next year? I'm not convinced any amount of educating him in the meanwhile will make him see sense . Other than drugs I feel he could look after himself quite well- I have told him this. But the drugs area a big no no for me and I feel he messed up badly this summer. How to regain his trust?

BOF Sat 02-Nov-13 19:42:25

I think education on the risks is probably better than banning social events, tbh. I would expect him to be super-helpful before he goes though, or the deal's off. Don't endorse it, but realistically, he will probably experiment again, and it would be safer if he was well-informed.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Sat 02-Nov-13 20:00:52

Hi Orange. No experience as a parent of teens, I'm afraid, but coming from the other side....
I would say that banning a festival is not going to prevent him from experimenting. I think I would agree with BOF that educating him is probably the safest thing to do.

I don't think you need to regain his trust at all! He's 15 and has been honest with you about drugs! I waited until long after I left home before thinking about admitting it to my mother. Do you think banning future outings would result in him not trusting you in the future? (Honesty results in punishment...)
Could you set some sort of boundaries like he checks in daily by phone?

Orangedays Sat 02-Nov-13 20:37:03

Thanks hiding I meant I need to trust him again , not vice versa. And he didn't admit it to me freely - I found out and confronted him. I could easily never have known ....
I take your points though . I just feel uncomfortable about paying for a ticket for him knowing what his intentions will probably be. But then as far as I'm concerned the other parents are mightily naive.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Sun 03-Nov-13 08:00:08

Well, that definitely changes things a bit. I completely understand why you feel hesitant to buy a ticket for him. In fact... Can he save the money to go himself? If he wants it that badly can he get a paper round or something and save up for it?

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 03-Nov-13 08:14:39

Education about risks, lovely BOF certainly is right. Banning festivals won't stop him if he has a mind to anyway.

My DD went to Reading last year, was on GCSE result day it started. Was staggered by ticket price! £200. She paid for hers with Christmas and birthday money. I'd def suggest he does the same. Deposit now and pay in March isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now