Smoking?!

(13 Posts)
My7angels Mon 28-Oct-13 22:37:55

A few days ago 2 of my daughters (age 13 and 16) brought up trying smoking. They were saying how they would only do it once and would be responsible. I'm just worried in case they like doing it and manage to get more cigarettes from somewhere.
My 2 oldest daughters smoke/ed. The oldest is 23 and she has smoked since she was 18 but is trying to quit because she wants children, the second oldest started smoking when she was 17 but quit when she found out she was pregnant just over a year laternand now hates being around cigarettes. The two oldest (Chloe and Brooklyn) both have said that I should let them try one when they are around me just so that they know what it is like. My 2 youngest (age 11 and 9) have never brought it up and my other daughter (age 18) has tried it once a few months ago when she was with Chloe.
I don't know what to do, what age would you let your child/ren try one cigarette? And would you let them do it with their mates or around you or someone older than them? Thank you!

I'm assuming this is wind up?

Hope so, because if it's not, FFS! Smoking KILLS. Biggest preventable cause of death! Absolutely addictive (it was for me from my first fag aged 12..have spent most of my adult life giving up, failing, finally quit) It stinks, it's vile, it identifies every smoker as a member of a social group that the rest of society despises...

So just WHY would you even be considering when/if it would be ok for your children to try them?! First taste of poison kids? Yeah let's go for it.. UGH

It's never ok.

Claybury Tue 29-Oct-13 09:38:59

Are you suggesting that you purchase cigarettes for your children to try??! So when they are older they can say 'my mum introduced me to smoking'?
With you medusa!
The legal age for smoking is 16.
Good that your girls came to talk to you about this as it gives you a chance for an open discussion
Obviously a lot of kids will try it. This is surely the time to educate the girls about it, maybe explain how their sisters have seen sense and given up but explain how it is hard to give up. Tobacco is highly addictive.

YDdraigGoch Tue 29-Oct-13 09:43:37

God almighty! how many DDs do you have?

And are you absolutely deranged? No way should you allow children of that age to try smoking. Apart from the blindingly obvious health and social reasons everyone else has mentioned - IT'S ILLEGAL

Have you got seven female children? confused

2 oldest who used to smoke, 2 middle children who want to try it, and 2 youngest who haven't yet tried it, plus 1 x 18 year old?

chocoluvva Tue 29-Oct-13 09:49:26

"let them" try smoking.

Are you going to let them try heroin/glue etc?

YDdraigGoch Tue 29-Oct-13 09:53:13

I counted 9. I must have double counted somewhere.hmm

ShatnersEmptyCatacomb Tue 29-Oct-13 09:58:26

20 Bensons in their Christmas stocking. If they like it, well, at least you gave it some serious thought so you can't blame yourself.

MirandaWest Tue 29-Oct-13 10:00:09

Legal age is 18 now (used to be 16).

No of course you don't get them cigarettes to try. That would be daft.

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Tue 29-Oct-13 10:02:11

Yes you should. Get them to smoke a whole pack of 20 each. Then see if they would like to try drugs as well while you are at it. Might as well get it all out of the way now

Given that everyone knows how addictive and dangerous cigarettes are, and that your older daughter is now finding out how hard to quit, could you point out that nobody but a complete idiot would even start smoking in the first place nowadays? Because surely if you voluntarily invite smelly breath, raging BO and an increased risk of dying young, you'd have to be....

Golferman Tue 29-Oct-13 15:22:19

It is illegal to sell tobacco to anyone under the age of 18 in England and Wales. The minimum age for consumption in public is 16, however there is no age limit for consumption in private.

Travelledtheworld Tue 29-Oct-13 15:42:47

It is very difficult for teenagers to make the connection between smoking and terminal cancer. They think they are invincible at this age. But the link is well proven.DONT DO IT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now