Teenagers not talking

(5 Posts)
orangetree99 Sat 26-Oct-13 09:57:21

I wondered if anyone else has a problem with the teenage daughter not talking to them any more. Mine is 14 and up to a year ago she told me everything and anything and we used to talk for hours but now we only seem to talk about food, money and transport Now I get short answers or "that really isn't anything to do with you". She is a happy, popular girl and I have absolutely no worries about her but I just feel sad at being shut out of her life. She left her facebook on and open the other day and I was so tempted to read all her messages but I shut it down quickly so I wasn't tempted. She split with her boyfriend of 6 months recently and didn't tell me (she ended it). I found out from his mum who is a friend of mine. I never had a good relationship with my own mother as a teenager and couldn't talk to her about anything and was determined to be different with my own.

usualsuspect Sat 26-Oct-13 10:02:05

She will probably start talking to you again in a year or two.

Teenage girls tend to talk to their mates more than their mums.

Don't look at her FB messages, just make sure she knows she can talk to you if she needs to.

orangetree99 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:20:37

Thanks usualsuspect. Yes she has lots of friends who she talks to and I know the problem is mine not hers if that makes sense. I have always respected her privacy and have never read texts and messages and knock on the door when I go in her room but I was actually shocked at the temptation as never had that before. I guess I just need to let go (but be there) and hope she comes back in a couple of years but I find it hard.

usualsuspect Sat 26-Oct-13 11:26:17

It is hard when they start to seperate from you
And seem to have a life you know nothing about.

I'm sure she knows she can talk to you if she needs to.

Hang on in there.

Nospringchickendipper Sun 27-Oct-13 08:48:49

You will find that when they get to 18 their personalities change and they become more sociable again.DD went through a period of time like this and now she is 18 we have a lovely relationship.
Just be there for her and wait patiently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now