So I gave DS a clothing allowance

(14 Posts)

Ten months later he has 57000 Tee shirts, no coat and one pair of shoes with holes in them hmm.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Oct-13 10:44:21

grin How old is he? Teens round here don't wear coats so he may be ok.

Thurlow Sat 12-Oct-13 10:45:33

grin

I had a clothing allowance as a teenager. I spent the whole of several months worth on a suede jacket. I had nothing else to wear all winter!

It was a very nice suede jacket, though...

lljkk Sat 12-Oct-13 10:53:37

DS would blow it all at Games Workshop, sigh.

He is 17.
I know about the coat thing wink Both DSs shiver their way though winter like every other teen.
I never bothered before as he wasn't interested, I just gave him money for clothes when he went shopping or took him out to buy things. I thought at 17 he should learn about budgeting. He does that alright, most of the money is sitting in his bank account.
Apart from the bit spent on T shirts.
It hasn't rained much lately, now that it has he will get wet feet in his holey shoes. Perhaps that will make him part with some money.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Oct-13 11:17:20

How much does he get secret? DS is 14, I think he would just buy one pair of Vans or every t shirt in Primark.

Well he used to get £30 a month pocket money. I added up roughly what I thought I spent on clothes a year and increased his PM to £60 a month. That has to cover phone (£6 month Tescos), entertainment and haircuts as well.
He's good at not spending money. Always seems to forget his wallet when I take him out.
DS2 is 15 and I'm just thinking of doing the same. He has school uniform so probably needs fewer clothes but is growing 1cm a day at the moment.

NoComet Sat 12-Oct-13 12:07:02

When I met DH, he owned the same set of clothes he'd had when he went to university five years previously, plus one pair of sandals given to him each year by his Mum.

In all that time (he'd stayed on as a postgrad, so didn't need smart stuff) he had bought one pair of good running shoes to do a Marathon and impress a previous girl friend.

His hair got cut about twice a year when his DSIS caught him.

25 years later he still only has clothes I've bought him or he's got as presents from DMIL before she died and my parents.

1 T shirt would be a start, 57000 T shirts would be a miracle.

DH is the same. Hasn't bought an item of clothing himself since I met him in 1976. It must be in the genes.

purpleroses Sun 13-Oct-13 11:15:42

My mum used to buy coats, shoes and school uniform. And give me a clothing allowance for everything else. I think she got it about right!

MrsWOLF1 Sun 13-Oct-13 22:04:23

Tell me to mind my own but p/money @ 17 ?? Does he not have a p/t job

NoComet Sun 13-Oct-13 22:52:01

@17 my DD might have a PT job, but very likely she won't.

Living in a public transport free rural area means a few hours waitressing may well not be worth her parents petrol/time getting her there.

In any case at 17, I want my DDs concentrating on passing their exams and enjoying the last days of childhood.

Not that I've ever bothered growing up.

NoComet Sun 13-Oct-13 22:53:30

And secrets grin

I suppose you should call it an allowance rather than pocket money.
We also live in a public transport free rural area, but he does have a part time job. It's only 5 hours a week NMW and I hardly think he should use his meagre hard earned cash to support himself. It all goes in the bank anyway so will help at uni.
We did all the driving to and from work for a while, even though not cost effective I felt it was useful to him to do the work. Good for his confidence as he is very shy. He can drive now so borrows my car.
He is also working very hard at his exams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now