Took DS13 door off his bedroom earlier....

(89 Posts)
louby44 Sun 15-Sep-13 14:42:59

after repeatedly slamming it (on purpose)..... I have been threatening to do it all week.

He went crazy because his brother wouldn't let him play on his Playstation. Angry, insolent, defiant, really rude. So I took the door off.

He then packed a bag and went off on his bike! He's now at his dads (we're divorced) and the remainder of the day has been peaceful.

He has loads of homework and food tech to sort out but I'm dreading him coming home!

I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old. They get in bad moods sometimes but do not slam doors. And even if they did, I wouldn't take the door off.

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 20:42:42

Well if they don't slam the doors then you don't need to take the doors off Remus.

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 20:44:11

If the did and you had constant SLAM. SLAM/ SHOUT. SLAM you may feel differently.

ExitPursuedByADragon Sun 15-Sep-13 20:44:33

Makes notes

louby44 Sun 15-Sep-13 20:44:40

I wondered when someone would say how awful it is that I've taken his door off! What would you suggest as a different punishment Remus as I was running out of things to take off him!

He has been lovely since he came back in and asked really nicely could he have his door back so DP and I have just struggled to put it back on, as we live in a three storey house the door was bl**dy heavy!

I've told him if he slams it again it will be removed again but for longer.

RhondaJean Brazil Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:08

I've been threatening dd1 to do this, the slamming seems to have stopped actually.

She's 14 soon, are we perhaps <whispers> over the worst?

She's been awful since she was about 10, last week I spotted a Facebook post saying "I am so glad I still have my parents, I would have disowned me by now I have been so awful" but I don't want to count my chickens...

And yes Remus you are the only one who wouldn't.

Mynewmoniker Sun 15-Sep-13 20:49:38

If he slams it again take YOUR door off as well! That'll learn him! grin

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 15-Sep-13 20:50:30

My parents took my door off when I was a teen and I absolutely hated it. sad It was humiliating.

Mine was taken off because I didn't come when I was called, as I had my door closed.

Now I have kids we have a rule that you speak to people in the same room they are in.

We clearly have v different views of parenting.

I am astonished that so many of you think this is a reasonable thing to do. Oh well - you live and learn.

heidihole Sun 15-Sep-13 20:56:24

Remus it's not like he has to get naked in there with no privacy. He can get changed in the bathroom. It's a great punishment.

bigTillyMint Sun 15-Sep-13 21:02:54

Actually, I've just realised that we haven't had much door slamming here. Mainly because our doors are difficult to slam, apart from the bathroom door. DD's door is always shut anywaygrin I was a terrible door-slammer - broke the glass in the porch door onceblush

MortifiedAdams Sun 15-Sep-13 21:07:01

I had my door taken off when I was a teen. Never slammed it again.

I dont understand why it is such a terrible thing remus.

ExitPursuedByADragon Sun 15-Sep-13 21:14:18

Human rights probably.

MortifiedAdams Sun 15-Sep-13 21:15:43

hmm

I didnt know I had the right to a door.

DS1 (13) probably wouldn't even notice if I took his door off. He went to bed last night with his door and curtains wide open.

Removing electronic devices is the only way to get through to him.

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Sun 15-Sep-13 21:18:56

With DD I got as far as loosening the screws, she was not impressed and lost her temper with me. I left it and came downstairs (the door was safe, I checked). A few hours later she appeared with a cup of coffee and an apology, the door was restored and she hasn't slammed it since. It still has the crack down the front from when she did though - I won't be replacing it as we can't afford it.

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Sun 15-Sep-13 21:19:26

Arbitary DD leaves her curtains open as well.

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 21:20:47

DS1 never opens his curtains Katy. hmm

It's nothing to do with human rights - it's to do with mutual respect. Clearly I am in a minority of one though.

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 21:22:07

The door slammers have no respect though Remus, damaging the things in the house they live in.

bigTillyMint Sun 15-Sep-13 21:23:28

Yes Arbitrary and Katy so does my DD, which is odd because she always used to worry about someone getting in her window (virtually impossible where her room is) when she was little. She also couldn't bear to have her door shut till she was in about Y8, now it's never opengrin

2kidsintow Netherlands Sun 15-Sep-13 21:24:50

We took DD's door off, when she'd been slamming it and nearly got her sister's fingers in it.

Her room was plenty big enough that she had privacy in there from people just walking past without the door there.

She got it back after a week and hasn't slammed it since.

Each to their own.

MrsDeVere Sun 15-Sep-13 21:27:44

Its a reasonable punishment when other strategies have failed.

Just as we have a responsibility to respect our children, they have a responsibility to respect us.

Or it all becomes horribly one sided.

I took DS door off once as well ( for too much slamming and stomping )

Another punishment I'm quite proud of is taking off the blinds and curtains after he once again went to school leaving them closed and the bedroom light on .

Worked a treat

MortifiedAdams Sun 15-Sep-13 21:31:22

Yes.well, Remus, when DCs are respectful.towards their home and the people within it then they will receive respect.

Remus clearly has very well behaved teens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now