Depressed DD15 doesn't want to live.

(7 Posts)
beelights Mon 09-Sep-13 08:57:04

DD 15 nearly 16 had a tearful breakdown last night and told me she 'feels sad all the time' and doesn't want to live. She has in the past had periods of 'bad thoughts', starting when she was about 11/12. They passed eventually but I know recently she has been concerned about her appearance a lot. She is gorgeous and well-liked, doing OK at school. But she is a sensitive soul. She does all the normal things like partying and procrastinating homework, but no b/f or best friend as she is shy. She has been very moody and sometimes vile to me (single mum) and fights with her twin bro all the time. Then she swings back to Mum-snuggling again. She is very emotionally acute and although she wants some help, doesn't want any of my 'hippy' stuff and her last experience of GP referred emotional health support was terrible (the counsellor was so negative and kept telling how dreadful her situation was - we both loathed her!!). Please can anyone advise or suggestions? Anything is worth a try. Any books for her? Any good counselling organisations? Are GPs any good with this? Thank you!

Screwfox Mon 09-Sep-13 09:08:52

hi bee
I am so sorry you are coing with this - you think you get them to teenage and you are out of the worst bit!
1. speak to school and ask for all the info from her teachers and let her head of year/house/pastoral support team know. It might be worth getting an appointment with them,
2. go to GP who I presume ( not sure here) will refer you to CAHMS. I have mixed reports on them - some prefer private counselling in which case CAHMS seem to back off

but you MUST keep an eye on her and her use of social media too - make sure she isnt sharing too much on there or being encouraged by others.

Screwfox Mon 09-Sep-13 09:09:03

"coping" not cooing!

beelights Mon 09-Sep-13 09:49:08

Thanks for that. I will contact her tutor. Yes, I think there is somewhat a glamourizing of mental health stuff, but I know her friends are also very good at mutual support - hard to know where the line is though. I find it really hard to monitor online stuff - the access is so all-pervasive. Great suggestions. The more information and suggestions I have the better the chance of finding a way to help her!

Thank you :-)

Guiltypleasures001 Mon 09-Sep-13 16:40:30

Hi op

Google your local YMCA as they offer free counselling to teens I volunteer for them and am in the
Cambs area were very good here.

beelights Mon 09-Sep-13 19:13:28

Thank you - I'll try them too.

frenchfancy Tue 10-Sep-13 06:34:32

What a terrible time for you and your DD. I hope you don't think I'm being flippant, but foes she exercise? I find running in particular great for lifting my mood and making me feel emotionally stronger. Couch 2 5k is a good place to start if you have never run before. Some people find yoga helps too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now