Halloween party for 15 years old girls?

(39 Posts)
Katastrofee Sun 01-Sep-13 17:41:27

DD is turning 15 and wants a Halloween disco party for her birthday. Where we live, trick-or-treating is not done, so DD is begging for some Halloween fun for several years now. I really want to grant this wish this time. She is also desperate for a disco, as the school PTA doesn't organize disco parties in years 10 and 11.

I am thinking of girls only party as DD's school is a girl's school and I 've known a couple of parties locally where boys from different schools started to fight, so I want to avoid any aggravation.

I have no idea what 15 years old girls would enjoy at a Halloween party and whether they would turn up at all.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Spidermama Sun 08-Sep-13 22:36:25

I think at this age they want boys around. In fact my dd - who's about to turn 15 - also wants a halloween party and has demanded ds, who's a year younger, brings friends.

We had a halloween party last year too and there was a little bit of snogging!! I'd rather they were doing that kind of thing safely at home rather than out somewhere after all.

specialmagiclady Tue 03-Sep-13 16:32:05

Call it a "girls' night" rather than a girls only party and it's instantly less lame.How about a decorated spooky photo booth so they can pose for crazy pictures. You could print them out on the night and probably get spooky cardboard frames online. A bit of Karaoke or dance video game so they can practise their moves.

Ooh also at the all-girls' school I went to we used to do all those "get the thing out of the dish of beans with your teeth" and blindfold "plunge your hands in slimy spaghetti worms games. Though my autistic son would hate hate hate that. So maybe your dd would hate that too.

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 13:36:22

Yes, the 15 rating. I think the main thing is that there is no open sex. They would survive horror, right?

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 13:32:23

X posted

I would certainly serve 'mocktail' drinks, but i don't think girls and their parents would expect me to serve alcohol. I would serve Champagne for the 16th birthday, but maybe not this time.

There is something odd about a girls only school anyway, so it's not new. DD's 2 closest friends wouldn't want to bring boys. My DD might be odd, but those accepting invitations do know that very well. She is the only one in school on the autistic spectrum. I doubt that girls would bring boys specifically to my DD's party, if they do there will be just a handful of them. If boys bring alcohol I would have to confiscate it, if they come drunk and start behaving sexually i would have to bounce those boys and 'couples' out.

I am not worried about X-rated costumes, if the girls' parents aren't.

When the school starts DD would canvas the mood about disco or movie or both.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 03-Sep-13 13:24:22

And Dexter has a good point about 15 certificate films. Can't remember what they watched last year. To be honest, most of them end up chatting, giggling and Facebooking anyway.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 03-Sep-13 13:23:07

I have a DD with an end-October birthday so we've had several Hallowe'en themed birthday parties. She's also 15. Last year, we decorated the house with skeletons, spiders web stuff (gets everywhere!) everyone dressed up and we served lots of Hallowe'en food and blood-red drinks (gross). We had a pinata in the garden, which entertained them for a while, then a scary movie. DD built a "den" in front of the tv, with every beanbag and cushion she could find and about 15 of them snuggled up in there for the film. There were probably another 15 who stayed in the kitchen watching music videos and dancing. DD also attends an all-girls school and whilst some of them have boyfriends, there seems to be some unspoken rule that certain parties stay girls-only and they all seem to understand that and don't question it! And to be fair, very few of them have actual, real, proper boyfriends, rather than imaginary ones!

I would stick around and keep an eye on any covert drinking, though ...

dexter73 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:04:22

If you are going to be showing a 15 film make sure the parents know in advance as their dds might only be 14, and from reading threads on here, some people can get cross if you show their kids films that are too old for them.

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 13:00:46

Yes, tywy, this sounds reasonable to me, 30 girls, fancy dress, fussing over outfits, taking photos, a bit of dancing, maybe a game or two, scary food and decor, and a scary film at the end.

Adults also go out girls only. They will to find a way to have 'grown up fun' among girls.

GraduallyGoingInsane Tue 03-Sep-13 12:51:06

Would you outright ban boys? If one of your DDs friends asked to bring a boy, would you say no?

I think an all girls disco would be a bit odd to be honest, especially in a hall. My DDs have never been to a single sex disco (although their school is mixed) and I have never heard of one before.

I think if its definitively single sex I'd hold it at home with a film, food etc.

Regarding alcohol, my DD2 is 15. She wouldn't take alcohol to a party, but wouldn't be surprised to see it there. I'm assuming your DD is year 10. That seems to be the age when alcohol starts to feature more.

Also, if you make it a costume party be prepared for some x rated ones - DD1 went to a Halloween party last year and the girls seemed to be in their underwear for the most part - lots of stockings and suspenders! I thought DD1's costume dress was on the short and low cut side, but a lot of her friends were in their pants and bras!

dexter73 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:40:59

I would go for hall with disco, apple bobbing, fancy dress, other games. I'm not sure if I would bother with the film as it would add another 2 hours to the party and some of them might not want to watch it so would be kicking their heels.
No alcohol needed but you could set up a 'mocktail' bar and serve drinks with umbrellas etc.

tywysogesgymraeg Tue 03-Sep-13 12:28:44

30 girls is fine for a disco. Without boys they will let their hair down more, and have a fine time. Much more than 30 and it will get out of hand quickly.

Fancy dress, lots of scary looking food, some scary/traditional halloween themed games, and a bit of a bop. Maybe a film too, if you can organise a big screen.

Personally, I would not provide alcohol - but be prepared for some girls to organise a pre-party where they get tanked up before they arrive at yours.

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 12:23:12

A party with entertainers that would be age appropriate for 15 yo Halloween party? What do they do at parties at this age beside sex, drugs and alcohol?

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 12:18:27

That would make sense for up to 3 guests, but would be a logistical nightmare otherwise.

headlesslambrini Italy Tue 03-Sep-13 12:09:21

how about getting some tickets for your local scare-a-thon, we have a really good one near us, for a small number of friends - this could be part of her present, and then pizza and scary movies back at yours afterwards?

Katastrofee Tue 03-Sep-13 12:03:32

DD doesn't know any boys. If she knew zillions of them, I wouldn't need to consider an all girls party.

dexter73 Tue 03-Sep-13 06:38:02

That seems enough for a disco. Can you ask your daughter if she knows any boys she would like to invite? If she doesn't then just keep it as girls.

Katastrofee Mon 02-Sep-13 23:09:20

There are 120 girls in a year group and I doubt that more than 30 would come. The local hall feels quite full with 30 people. Could be even less. I would like to figure out how to attract bigger number, but I just don't see how to make it mixed.

twentyten Mon 02-Sep-13 22:06:59

Girls would play silly games- apple bobbing, and other Halloween games? More fun than a disco!

whois Mon 02-Sep-13 21:12:05

No to the disco, single sex disco sounds a bit lame.

Fancy dress, decoration, themed cupcakes and jelly sweets, pizza and a movie sounds more fun.

dexter73 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:07:12

It is also mixed so there are always a mix of boys and girls at all parties.

dexter73 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:06:11

I just don't really see how you can have a disco with say 10 people. In my dd's year at school there are 330 students so attracting people isn't an issue. How many people was she thinking of inviting?

Katastrofee Mon 02-Sep-13 20:54:59

I am not being difficult, I really need some advice.

Katastrofee Mon 02-Sep-13 20:51:26

Dexter, so, how to attract a lot of people?

dexter73 Mon 02-Sep-13 17:06:53

I went to a girls school with iron discipline and we were a right bunch of shockers out of school! Surely for a disco you need lots of people or is it more dancing around in the living room kind of thing?

Katastrofee Mon 02-Sep-13 15:52:47

I am certainly not minded to accept alcohol at the party. Are girls at this age likely to smuggle in their alcohol or not to come because they can't have it?

This is a leafy grammar school with iron discipline, but I have no idea what girls are like in their home lives...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now