ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

14 year old DD won't stop listening to music?!

(30 Posts)
JessLouise Mon 26-Aug-13 17:29:39

My DD has become overly obsessed with music. Listening to it whenever she can. It mainly seems to be Ed Sheeran, We The Kings, One Direction, Taylor Seift and Mumford and Sons.
The problem is its starting to affect family relations. She barely talks to anyone and is always on her damn phone. Never off it. It's beginning to become worrying. Any advice other than taking her phone? When asked she says music is her escape from the world. (She has suffered from self injury and other problems) but I still don't see that as an excuse. Advice please I'm at the em if my tether and want my daughter back!

JessLouise Mon 26-Aug-13 18:18:45

Do not get me started on Imagine Dragons I beg you. Radioactive is the most aggravating song I have ever heard. Of course DD loves it!

specialsubject Mon 26-Aug-13 19:49:47

regardless of the type of music, if it is on so loud through headphones that it blots out other noise, the listener will be deaf by 35.

many teens and twenties have already blown out their hearing this way.

can you get your daughter to write the usual angst-ridden poems and stories that we all used as teens? Can be kept private, burned when no longer required and don't destroy hearing.

We had nivnera (sp) on loop all afternoon while dd paints her room there was a small interval of the stone roses all music from my late teens

MrsDavidBowie Mon 26-Aug-13 19:57:06

This is me. I constantly listen to Mr Bowie.

thornrose Mon 26-Aug-13 20:02:28

I listen to music a lot, I'm 46, my dd listens to music a lot, she's 14. I love hearing her choices and seeing how eclectic her developing taste is.

Occasionally I hear dd listening to my music and it makes me grin I really don't think you should worry too much. Music can be such a release.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now