My 15 (just) year old is smoking weed

(7 Posts)
FyfieldFred Sun 25-Aug-13 20:59:55

I live in the dark depths of the country and my daughter has complained that there's not enough to do. Recently I've found out that she and her friends (some younger than she is) have been experimenting with smoking weed. What to do? I don't want her to know how I found out (via another friend/mother) but I'm concerned that this may lead to stronger drugs - also should I tell the other parents? I have no idea where they're getting it from, presumably from an older sibling. I have no idea where to start with this one.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:06:49

Firstly, don't panic - it isn't a slippery slope. Lots of people who i know have smoked weed at some point in their lives, my DP included and never touched anything else and indeed, don't smoke it anymore. I have tried it, didn't like it, would never dream of doing anything stronger.

More relevantly, my DD has done it, at a similar age to yours - I was horrified, convinced she was going to become a herion addict and be found in a public toilet having overdosed sad Well, shes 23 now and has a good job, nice bf and her own flat. She tells me she doesn't smoke weed anymore, been there done that hmm and i believe her. I think it was just experimenting. I totally over reacted at the time though and it did cause problems.

I would let her know that you know - make sure you have a frank and open discussion about the risks and how to keep herself safe. I think that weed is much stronger than it was in my day. Don't condone it, but don't go off at the deep end as she will just clam up and not talk to you about it.

As for the other parents, im really not sure - I'd want to know if it were my DD though.

FyfieldFred Mon 26-Aug-13 11:34:44

Thanks for your help - I think you're right about not going off at the deep end, which was my first reaction. She and her friends have been camping in the woods near our home (lovely - open air etc, no screens) but now I realise what they've been getting up to! I will have to think carefully how I talk to the other parents, particularly as I have no idea which child has got hold of the stuff in the first place.

ConnieM1970 Wed 28-Aug-13 12:57:12

As a former pot smoker, I think there is a big difference between occasionally smoking a joint and it becoming an everyday thing. I would be open with her and ask her about it. If it's a regular occurrence I think you need to do something about it, but if it's just a social once in a while thing with her friends I wouldn't make a major issue, but I would closely monitor the situation.

iseenodust Wed 28-Aug-13 13:06:22

You can find helpful info here;
- pdfs on cannabis

specialsubject Wed 28-Aug-13 14:29:59

nothing to do except get off their heads? How desperate. And of course there are health risks from the tobacco, and in some people cannabis causes psychotic episodes.

does she have absolutely no hobbies or interests? Can the other mum tell you who the dealer is? (because the stuff isn't given away...)

weed is not harmless.

FyfieldFred Sun 08-Sep-13 18:59:58

I have now also heard that some other children in the village have started on Ketamene. That's the problem - they start with one thing and peer pressure says 'let's have a go with this...'. Have had lots of talks with her and she promises she won't try anything like Ket but still won't tell me where they got the weed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now