Reward for GCSE results

(46 Posts)
Viking1 Sun 25-Aug-13 11:01:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Purple2012 Mon 26-Aug-13 09:57:36

My SD did well. I filled a small box with a few novelty things, got a personalised chocolate thing saying well done from thorntons and put £50 in a card for her to spend on what she wanted.

musicposy Mon 26-Aug-13 10:00:44

We got a box of 12 krispy kreme doughnuts as a celebration as we'd never spend that sort of money on doughnuts usually! DD2 got to pick her 3 first. She was delighted. We'd done the same for DD1 and so she was really hoping for doughnuts!
But hundreds of pounds? I don't think so grin

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Mon 26-Aug-13 10:11:07

If you don't agree with giving money as a reward then don't do it. If you do agree, then do it. I do and really couldn't give a flying fig what others do, that's their business. My DCs do not feel entitled to anything but are extremely grateful.

MrsFrederickWentworth Mon 26-Aug-13 10:13:18

Ds did well in the ones he took early, one of which was a real struggle.

He asked whether he would get reward after he got them. ( not before). I had had a present for doing ok, so I offered him a choice of a couple of things including the monetary equivalent which is what he chose and we all went out for super brunch as well.

Some of his class will get stupid amounts of money or things, some won't get any. It's finding the right way for your child.

worley Mon 26-Aug-13 10:21:18

ds1 just took his early while in yr9, so still has two more years of exams to do.. it never occurred to me to get him a reward for doing well. (My friends or I never got rewards for doing well..) He did get an a star and I was so pleased at this point I brought him takeaway for tea from his fave place: But giving money?!
The reward is the personal satisfaction they should get I think.
Now I'm wondering what the others may have got when he goes back to school and give him ideas! sad

MadameJosephine Mon 26-Aug-13 10:31:40

DS is saving to buy a new computer so I promised him £20 towards it for every A* he got. His grandparents also gave him a congratulations card with £100 in it and his auntie baked a cake to celebrate.

£150 per A* shock I would've been bankrupted!

BackforGood Mon 26-Aug-13 10:43:08

So for those who do think it's a good thing to pay £x per A* or A, what do you do if you have one child who is academically able and one who isn't ?
Genuine question.

Excellent question, BackForGood.

OldRoan Mon 26-Aug-13 12:39:04

I think I would be tempted to give the money BEFORE results, as a reward for effort during the exam period. Then you could reward each child equally regardless of results. And it might end up cheaper if you have a whizz kid child getting wonderful results...

waikikamookau Mon 26-Aug-13 12:52:08

my dd has got excellent, slightly unexpected results grin
we went out to a theme park on the day, but planned to go regardless.
I will take her clothes shopping in the week but am also skint. and she is one of three so I don't think X amount per grade is on the cards here.

I was thinking of my friend who has twins, not taking GCSEs this year though, and that must be a minefield. As it is her older brother is probably slightly bruised and jealous as he didn't get A grades, <<lazy>>

waikikamookau Mon 26-Aug-13 12:53:34

I think my DM is tempted to give money per result though she hasn't done so far. <<probably too expensive grin wink >>

EvilTwins Mon 26-Aug-13 13:01:23

My next door neighbour when I was growing up was a year older than my sister and 2 years older than me. Her parents did the £10 for an A, £8 for a B etc thing, and I remember conversations with my parents about how ridiculous it was, and how getting the best results you were capable of was the best reward for hard work. Looking back, that was quite clever of my parents - my the time my sister took her GCSEs, we were both firmly of the opinion that money for results was TERRIBLE and so never expected it.

We went for a nice family meal for my sister's results, and were on holiday abroad for mine. I got to choose where to go for dinner that night, IIRC.

singaporeswing Mon 26-Aug-13 13:15:50

BackforGood, my older sister and younger brother offered £50 per A*, £20 per A and £10 per B.

She ended up with 8 B's. He got 3 B's, 2 C's and 4 D's.

I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's.

Guess who was the one who didn't get any money wink

I had a lovely meal out & really enjoyed it. Think that what you do for one child should be done for the rest.

littlemisswise Mon 26-Aug-13 13:21:28

I've bought DS2 a really nice fountain pen to start 6th form college with. He has wanted one for ages. He doesn't know yet.

lotsofdirections Mon 26-Aug-13 14:54:49

I got a silver locket I still treasure for my O'Levels.
DD1 and DD2 each got a silver bangle and DS got a necklace(surfer dude type).
As others have said the results are the reward all we gave was a commemoration!

Fountain pen is a v good idea. In fact, I might buy dd1 a new one for uni. Thank you. smile

MadameJosephine Mon 26-Aug-13 17:26:22

backforgood DS was predicted A*/A grades so I promised him £20 for every A* as an extra incentive but to be honest he's pretty self motivated and worked hard regardless of the money, it was just a bonus. If DD turns out not to be as academic as her brother I think I would probably go with rewarding her for reaching/exceeding whatever target grades she had been set Rather than focussing on the top grade

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Mon 26-Aug-13 17:31:28

As an incentive to get my older non academic DCs to apply themselves I promised a large amount per c grade , they didn't get any so I didn't pay up. Youngest DC is able and has said it's ok, I will not take your money. He will get the same amount per A.

Viking1 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:07:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

longingforsomesleep Mon 26-Aug-13 23:33:56

Backforgood - exactly what I was going to post - can be tricky when you have more than one child. (We normally just have a family meal if someone does well).

MIL sent DS1 £100 when he got his OK GCSE results two years ago. This summer DS2 has achieved an excellent set of GCSE results and I'm interested to see if she will do the same for him. However, DS1 has also just produced a miserable set of A level results. It will be rubbing salt into DS1's wounds if she sends something to DS2 and not him. But it's difficult to send anything to DS2 alone.

MrsFrederickWentworth Tue 27-Aug-13 09:09:27

Viking, sounds just right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now