Has your teen been slobbing around all day during the holidays too?

(30 Posts)
Sahmof3 Sat 10-Aug-13 08:59:41

My 14 year old daughter has done absolutely nothing with her time since she broke up from school. She gets out of bed around lunchtime, slobs around all day in her pyjamas and spends the entire time on her ipod and mobile phone playing games and messaging her friends. She won't practise her instruments, refuses to do the small amount of homework set by school and rarely leaves the house despite my constant nagging. Do you think I should just leave her be? Part of me thinks the rest may do her good before she starts on her GCSE courses in Year 10, the other part thinks she is wasting valuable time when she could be preparing for the next school year, or at least doing something a bit more worthwhile. Also, do you think I should continue allowing her to have lessons for her instruments when she can't even be bothered to practise during the holidays? Any ideas how to constructively occupy a teen during the hols? Any advice much appreciated!

bruffin Sat 10-Aug-13 17:49:21

Agree with Lynette, school holidays are meant for lounging about.

DD didnt surface until 12 today, but this week she has been helping at an SEN club mon-wed. Had an impacted tooth removed under GA on thursday. I quite expected her to be in a bad way for about a week but she wanted to go to the club on Friday so went in for the afternoon.

DS has a casual job but has been turning down shifts that start at 5.30am (he did do one) which i secretly dont blame him. He will start to run out of money in september. Today he was up early but has had a few attempts at his personal statement today, then gone of to watch tv. He is still in his jamies.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 10-Aug-13 20:27:27

DS has just walked in through the door from a week away at Army Cadet camp. Not sure that he has washed much but he has had a blast. Field craft, ambushes, shooting, orienteering, camping out with minimum equipment.

He is absolutely shattered and more than a bit smelly but I am very proud of him!

pixelchick10 Tue 13-Aug-13 01:24:02

My DD (14) has done nothing either ... no instrument practise, bit of shopping/hanging about with friends, a lot of watching American sitcoms/vlogs on You Tube, some filming of her own vlogs, saved slightly by some tennis playing/bike rides ... I despair!! Why don't they use their time more productively???

DD1 is doing stuff but we're moving away so she spends the time with her boyfriend, probably snogging and talking in a funny voice. <sigh>

DD2 is 13 and happily lying around lazily. It's nearly 3 and she climbed out of bed not too long ago. Sometimes goes out with friends, but going out with ME is her idea of a nightmare.

It's going to be amloooong holiday. Thankfully I have a happy 5yo who wants to do stuff.

wigglybeezer Tue 13-Aug-13 15:08:24

I gave up fighting with my DS (15) this summer. He has spent almost the whole time on his PC playing games, he claims it will be his last chance to slob out as it's his first year of big exams this year.

On the plus side Autumn term started today so I have entered his lair and hoovered! Still smells a bit though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now