Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

<Sob> Temporarily overwhelmed by DS1 and 2

(184 Posts)
BoffinMum Mon 05-Aug-13 12:44:49

I am trying to work from home during August as I haven't got a lot of childcare, but DS (12) and DS (15) are driving me nuts. Despite my best efforts they are doing everything on an imaginary ticklist of annoying-but-not-illegal-or-immoral things, specifically designed to annoy a parent. Their minor but exasperating crimes include:

Smearing jam all over clean sheets from eating in bed
Peeing all over the place in the bathroom and making it stink
Toilet skid marks, no use of brush
No assistance in house whatsoever despite many disciplinary strategies
Lying in bed until lunch and then loafing about in pyjamas all day
Arguing and scrapping with each other
Bedrooms like fetid hellholes that time forgot (gave in and cleaned one today as I couldn't bear it any longer)
Banging on about the next thing they want me to buy for them
Refusing to their holiday homework from school
Refusing to do anything except muck about on their computers

I have tried everything I can think of to reign them in but I am wondering if there are things other people can think of. I am getting no work done and they have me in tears at the moment.

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 06-Aug-13 10:56:07

grin

All so familiar!

I let it all go though as term time is a whirlwind of school, homework, tests/exams, evening training sessions and weekend matches. So nice to be laid back and not have any time pressures on us.

Hopasholic Tue 06-Aug-13 10:57:00

I am going to make you all envy

My DS's 13 & 11 have gone away with Mil until ......... Saturday grin

DH is working away

I am currently floating round house with my dressing gown flapping.

I'm not even going to tidy their stinking bedrooms either.

grin

Palika Tue 06-Aug-13 13:22:34

I am sure I will be appearing as a real swat but I will tell you nevertheless how we solved that problem.

DS14 used to be a total nuisance every time holidays started until we worked out that it was fear of boredom - or rather fear of all that empty space. I suggested to DS to make a plan for each day with some fixtures like work on the land (we live in the country) and homework and his 2 hours on the computer he is allowed per day.

DS has totally embraced the idea and is happily living by his self-written rather tight schedule. Amazing!!!

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 06-Aug-13 14:24:08

I have a 7 year old DS and this thread has made me want to shoot myself. grin How many blissful years do I have left before I encounter this joy that is teenage DS's?

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 06-Aug-13 17:29:41

I hate to say it forty but my ds has been heading this way since 10 he veers between being a shouty and annoyed stranger and my lovely charming son. Neither of them have very good personal hygiene or any sense of style - he is another one who has hands down boxers all the time I wouldn't dream of eating anything he has touched.

We tried to go out as a family today. Then DS2 looked at DS1 the wrong way or something so then DS1 refused to come out with us. hmm

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 06-Aug-13 20:21:05

I guess it helps to know its all "normal" for this age and I haven't given birth to some kind of devil spawn.

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 06-Aug-13 22:07:39

Blue 10 eek confused

Travelledtheworld Thu 08-Aug-13 14:20:11

forty possibly 11' but my DS changed practically overnight from sweet affectionate child who would happily build dens with sticks in the garden to sullen, grunting adolescentto whom everything is lame and boring.

Enjoy your child while you still can !

Graceparkhill Thu 08-Aug-13 14:29:52

Scottish schools go back next week so the end is in sight. Until we went on hol last week DS2 ( 14) had barely stirred from his room. He could stand in for Julian Assange no problem.

I am pleased to report that during our hol he
Wore clothes
Got up before 0930
Ate proper food and not just Pringles
Conversed
Smiled
Took part in everything
Back to normal now though. On Skype with pal, unshowered and munching on the Pringles!

ZingWidge Thu 08-Aug-13 18:37:02

grace when did they break up then? ours barely finished 2 weeks ago and not back till 4th Sept!

Graceparkhill Thu 08-Aug-13 22:35:11

June 25 th was last day of term. Seems like a lifetime ago.

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 11-Aug-13 21:07:06

My son has now given up showering completely and just covers himself in Lynx Africa - really would not be safe to light a match in his room.

We got back from holiday a week ago and i'm pretty sure he hasn't cleaned his teeth since.

num3onway Sun 11-Aug-13 21:09:43

Dear god I am dreading my 4 and 5 year olds becoming grunting smelly teenage boys

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 11-Aug-13 21:13:14

yeah, enjoy while you can!

Well tomorrow is the start of another 'fun' week. They go back to school 3 weeks this Thursday. <sigh>

alistron1 Mon 12-Aug-13 23:32:15

14 year old DS now only leaves his room to eat. However he seems to need feeding as often as a newborn - so he's never really in his room. Despite this his room is fetid.

16 year old DD is going through a phase of silent weeping about all the reasons why I am ruining her life. When she isnt weeping silently she's out with her friends having a jolly nice time.

I can't wait for school to start. All I seem to do is buy food, make food, clear up food, listen to rants about how rubbish I/their dad/this house is, be forced to read tweets about lady gaga's current activities and buy more food.

The SAS should recruit teenagers to break people.

DS1 last had a shower last Wednesday. sad I have told him today's the day. He too is in his room when he's not foraging for food in the kitchen where apparently 'there's nothing to eat'. hmm

alistron DH and i are continually being told where we are going wrong. Why the house isn't suitable etc etc etc

Oh and our house is in 'the wrong place' hmm

Chubfuddler Tue 13-Aug-13 07:55:33

My six and two year old are behaving like this op. particularly vis a vis barely eating at mealtimes as desperate to return to paddling pool/slide/toys/iPad but then demanding "snacks" ten minutes later. I've taken to just reserving the previously rejected meal and then giving them that. Apparently if eaten on bedroom floor/in front of tv it's a snack and immediately delicious.

I honestly don't know how DS1 survives at school. Lunchtime is 1.20pm. shock

Ledkr Tue 13-Aug-13 08:23:09

I suffered raised 3 teen boys at once and worked f time.
I'm afraid I shut their doors rather than look, insisted on communal mess being cleared or no money,lifts etc.
If their rooms got too bad I'd removed all pleasures untill they were cleared up.
I frequently arrived at work with a mouse, the house phone and the sky card (pre broadband days)
Ds2 us in his twenties and stayed here while we were in holiday for two weeks.
It was still a bloody bit if a mess when we came back!!!

outtolunchagain Tue 13-Aug-13 08:25:52

I've had enough now as well, my younger two are definitely ready to go back now ,16 and 11 ( starting senior school) and have been home since 5 July ,ds1 has been home from university since early June and the house is just not big enough for everyone's stuff , I seem to go to the supermarket virtually every day and the washing is endless.

The thing is they have descended into a stupor now , it's a battle to get anyone to do anything , although ds3 came for a walk with the dog yesterday and I try to organise something for him each day even if its just a dog walk .

alistron1 Tue 13-Aug-13 10:24:02

Right, I'm forcing them all out today. We are going to a hill, they'll love that. I am taking the router with us <<evil>>

Good luck with that alistron. DS1 still snoring away. He is having a shower today. Definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now