would you let you 13 camp

(61 Posts)
Orchidlady Wed 17-Jul-13 09:45:58

DS 13 has got into his head that he would like arrange a camp out in a field, think rural field if farmer agrees. I don't think he is old enough, I also do not know any of the people he wants to invite and not sure other parents would be too happy about this. Am I being over protective?

Orchidlady Fri 19-Jul-13 14:18:39

soonHey we could start a whole thread on that, oh bless hide and seek. They might be teenagers but still so what to be kids underneath it all

BackforGood Fri 19-Jul-13 15:59:28

Soon That reminds me of when my ds (aged 15 / 16ish) was stopped on his way home on night about 10.45, walking with a few mates of similar age. The police van drew up

"Alright lads - where you going?"
"On our way home now"
"OK, where you been"
"Well, youth club first, but then on to the park"
"Oh yes, what you been doing in the park"
<I imagine a bit of foot shuffling at this time>

"Er.... playing Hide and Seek" grin

Police were great - told them to give them a shout next time as they wanted to play too wink

Ha Ha backforgood grin there are a lot of good kids about - just the minority that give them a bad name.

DuelingFanjo Fri 19-Jul-13 16:04:08

My parents let me and a group of friends camp out at around age 11/12. However they got together with all the other parents and had a rota where one parent would pop in on us to check we were all ok. Could you do this?

We got flooded out in the end but spent a night camping next to a group of boy scouts which was fun.

Turniptwirl Sat 20-Jul-13 20:10:43

Yes but make them go to a proper campsite not just a field

dexter73 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:35:08

Can't imagine a proper campsite would let a group of unsupervised teenage boys in.

flow4 Sun 21-Jul-13 10:04:23

No, they wouldn't. Last year my DS, then 17, tried to find somewhere where he, a 17yo friend and an 18yo friend could camp for 2 nights. He phoned in advance to 3-4 campsites and was turned down flat. I called 2-3 more on his behalf, and eventually found one who would allow them to stay.

I camped at 16-17 without adults, several times, and it never crossed my mind to check, nor were we ever challenged. But things seem to have changed... I do think it's sad.

jellybeans Sun 21-Jul-13 12:29:11

No but probably would at 15/16

50shadesofvomit Sun 21-Jul-13 13:32:33

I have a 12 year old and would do a practice run in the garden.

Orchidlady Sat 03-Aug-13 13:14:46

Well an update. I decided to allow him, we got permission from a neighbour, ( field less than a 5 minute walk) there were 2 girls and 3 boys. DS popped back several times, left door open so girls could use the loo. I have to say they were brilliant, what a lovely bunch of kids. Made them all bacon butties the next morning. No problems. I am very proud of him and them. smile in fact doing another one tonight

chocoluvva Sat 03-Aug-13 13:44:30

Thanks for the update - always nice to have a happy ending. No signs of alcohol consumption after all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now