Appropriate bikini for well developed 12yr old?

(20 Posts)
Snoot Tue 16-Jul-13 19:35:01

I have schlepped all around the shops today and finally got a bikini to fit dd. I had to get her the 14 top and 10 bottom but managed a sale price and she greeted DH in it proudly upon his return from work just now. Well.... he's gone off obviously massively disapproving, not wanting to say and to come back to the situation later, showered etc after long, hot commute. Fair enough and I can see it through his eyes, the top is a plunge style but plenty big enough and there's no squashing going on.

Is there anywhere that does good, appropriate, non-sexualising but vaguely fashionable not-too-expensive swimwear for teens? There are so many halter necks out there which I never find comfortable and so am loath to buy DD. She's 5' 7" and a year 7 and really too well developed for her own good although I am relentlessly positive with her as I had my own eating issues growing up. TIA :-)

MrsApplepants Tue 16-Jul-13 19:36:50

Johnnie B at boden perhaps?

Jimalfie Tue 16-Jul-13 19:51:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chrissybaby Tue 16-Jul-13 19:51:31

try frost floozie range(stupid name) at Debenhams In the sale now they do separate tops and bottoms Cover up nicely and can be bought online

specialsubject Tue 16-Jul-13 19:52:33

she's obviously happy with how she looks. It is a bikini, it's not going to cover a lot by definition.

where's the issue?

Mosschops30 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:52:35

Try shops that actually have sized bikinis.
La Senza, Boux Ave, bravissimo

As a mum to a dd with 30GG and a size 10 I feel your pain smile

Snoot Tue 16-Jul-13 19:52:59

Thank you MrsApplepants I have bought her summer clothes from Johnnie B but they do not cut for a curvier figure, we had to return the shorts as they wouldn't go over her thighs and the Large dress is straining at the bust. The skirt is fine as it fits her waist and flares but I think she's having the same issue I have with Boden, they're cut for a straighter figure.

Snoot Tue 16-Jul-13 19:54:54

Sorry for crossed posts there, thank you everyone smile, I'll have another try tomorrow.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Jul-13 19:55:57

DD is a 28D but size 6-8 bottoms. You need to get separates and a fitted bra-style one.
We have got a few from Tesco, New Look, Peacocks, etc - she will only wear young styles, not adult-looking ones IYSWIM!

spudmasher Tue 16-Jul-13 19:59:12

My DD is 14, has a tiny waist, 32DD chest and big dancers thighs. She ended up buying top from surf wear range Roxy and bottoms- size 8- from m and s. It is almost impossible to buy a one piece...boobs popping out. Or gaping around the bum.
Dad has not seen it yet. She looks stunning. They will always disapprove- its a natural instinct.

MrsMongoose Tue 16-Jul-13 20:00:34

I think the problem here is Dad, not the bikini. You've done an excellent job in finding a teenage girl something she feels good in. Well done - that in itself could have been a disaster.

He's going to have to (not like it) but lump it. He has a daughter. That's what she looks like. Curves.

I'd be telling him to sod off. Should have started binding her chest earlier then shouldn't he?

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 16-Jul-13 20:02:00

How about a sports style bikini, like this one?

Or a topkini and some board/swim shorts?

badguider Tue 16-Jul-13 20:03:17

Do YOU think it's inappropriate? Personally I'd be worried about the message your DD will get if you take back a bikini she is happy with because it's 'too sexy' according to her dad. It will be embarassing and make her self-conscious about her body.
If at all possible I would stick with the one you've already bought because of that.

MrsMongoose Tue 16-Jul-13 20:07:00

Completely agree with badguider. You've got a teenage girl happy with how her body looks. That is a blessing. Do not let Dad teach her her curves are shameful, sexual and should be more covered.

chickensaladagain Tue 16-Jul-13 20:11:56

I get my 12 year old ones from asda nice big bottoms-it's the bottoms I have an issue with as most are teeny tiny

Snoot Tue 16-Jul-13 20:54:31

I do see what you're saying about not making her think about her body in anything other than a positive light. It was tricky broaching the subject of protruding bikini-line hair either significantly limiting her choices or having to be dealt with. DH came down in a much better frame of mind and has told her she looks lovely and she can keep it as long as she promises not to strut like a model all the time grin. DD is very dramatic and loves to pose! I'm going to see what else I can find and take the line that it's always best to have several bikinis. Thank you for all your help smile

Theas18 Tue 16-Jul-13 22:46:30

we couldn't get dd2 a bikini. couldn't get a top roo fit our bottoms with enough coverage.

however we got a nice set in JL in the bottom off the sale bin. I think it's a bra and pants but in swimsuit / lycra and a navy spot pattern so it doesn't matter as it'll be worn abroad anyway lol

in Spain everyone from girls to teens to grannies wear triangle bikinis ( if they bother with tops) so it's better coverage and less likely to fall off then that lol

Dancergirl Wed 17-Jul-13 12:35:40

Does it have to be a bikini? Dd wears either a swimsuit or tankini.

Snoot Wed 17-Jul-13 16:53:53

DD has a Boden swimming costume that would still fit if we tackled her bikini line and a big, black shorts-style swimsuit which is great but in no way pretty or summery. I always think bikinis are much nicer in the heat smile

Happymum22 Wed 17-Jul-13 23:29:20

Not always the most attractive prospect for teens but M and S are really good on sizes, can buy separates and they are much more flattering than elsewhere. My teen DDs always refused then after trekking around 10 other shops we would always end up at M and S and find something straight away!

Otherwise what about Hollister/Jack Wills/A&F sales? (May just be round here but they are pretty much every 12 year olds number 1 shop!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now